Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

Roku Voice Remote TV Controls Stop Working - Potential Fix

I had the same problem others had mentioned. The Roku Voice remote worked fine and then about 3 weeks ago the power, volume, and mute controls would jam and be unresponsive... hitting the volume and mute buttons at the same time seemed to temporarily unjam them.

You could see the buttons were not always sending a signal to the TV by looking at the front of the remote with a smartphone camera (it will show the infra red signal flashes when the TV-assigned buttons are pressed).

Labels (1)
43 REPLIES 43
Barry8
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Voice Remote TV Controls Stop Working - Potential Fix

Where is the "secret" platform Menu? If I hit the Home button without finding that platform, it just takes me to the Roku Home Page.  Thanks. Sorry I need to find the "secret"  I assume this is on the TV and not on my Roku on my phone or computer.

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@Barry8 

So, the “secret” menus are programmed into the Roku device… in my case, it is the Roku Ultra. You use the Roku remote and hit the button sequence to access the secret menu you want. And, you would use the Roku remote with the TV control issues to access the menu. Ignore what you are seeing while doing the button sequence…. it is like entering in a video game code.

palmers603
Channel Surfer

I used to be able to connect my remote to control volume on my Sony receiver.  Since this issue you mentioned I can only connect it to my tv (even though my really old remote still controls my Sony receiver).  Any ideas how to switch it back?

0 Kudos
Barry8
Binge Watcher

Don't know why people think I know anything, I just signed up to solve a remote problem.

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@palmers603 

Before the update, were you able to use the Roku remote to control the power for your TV and the volume for your Sony receiver?… I’m trying to understand if the remote was controlling 2 devices besides the Roku or if you are just unable to pair the remote with the receiver.

Did you try to go through the Roku menus…
Settings, Remotes & devices, Remotes, Voice Remote Pro (or whatever Roku remote you are using), Set up remote for TV control, and select Sony receiver (don’t select the TV if that is the device highlighted)

0 Kudos
Barry8
Binge Watcher

This seems to have solved the problem. Don’t know why Roku support didn’t suggest a solution that worked. Thank you very much 

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@Barry8 

You’re welcome. I’m very glad to hear it worked.

0 Kudos
palmers603
Channel Surfer

Strangely, I couldn’t get the remote to connect to the tv at all before the update.  I just assumed our tv was too old.  So no, the remote did not control power for anything - just volume for the receiver.  I will add, though, that hitting the home button has always powered the receiver on (and still does for either remote).

When I run the setup for tv control, what automatically comes up is “SONY TV”.  (Our receiver is Sony, the tv is Philips.)  I’ve tried running this and also just running it by searching “SONY”.  Either way, I still hear the music playing and it tells me it can’t set up the remote.  If I run it for Philips it connects to the tv.  

0 Kudos
RowCuckoo
Binge Watcher

@palmers603 

Just to check… did you try updating the remote firmware like in my first post?

What you can try is manually entering in Sony (like you did before) when pairing the remote and just say the music was muted even if it wasn’t. 

0 Kudos