Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Viewer00
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Jump to solution
Funny you should ask that. The 45th choice worked for me using the remote that came with my Streaming Stick (3800X). I actually also just purchased a Streaming Stick+ (3810R) and found that the remote in the box (Model RC249) would NOT work with the Panasonic Plasma TV I have (even in the 45th choice). Luckily, it turns out the remote for the 3800X (Model RC127, if you check under Settings/Remote/About) works fine with the Streaming Stick+.

As a side note, I bought the Streaming Stick+ just to have the current stream continue playing (dimmed a bit) in the background while I surfed the DirecTV Now guide. Sounds small, but I really hated losing my place in a show every time I wanted to see if anything better was playing.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Visitor

Jump to solution
I also have a 2012 Panasonic plasma 50ST50 in my main media room.  Also noted that the Streaming Stick remotes didn't power off the Panasonic only volume worked, so I use a Stick+ model on my other TV in a different room a Samsung that works completely power+volume.
I got a Roku Ultra 4640 for use with my Panansonic plasma and since the Ultra can take infrared commands, I use a universal remote that can control the Panasonic already and added the Roku commands to it using the Stick+ remote to learn from since it can output infrared when the stick is powered off.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
Bonsler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Could you possibly explain how you programmed the Panasonic TV remote to recognize the Roku remote commands? The Roku remote worked perfectly until December when it stopped turning off the TV. Roku sent me a new remote but it does the same thing. Everything else works except for turning off the TV and I have to use the Panasonic TV remote to turn off the TV. Just trying to avoid having all these remotes sitting around to view the TV.  We have another streaming+ stick and Ultra stick that function properly on two other TVs. Thanks for your help. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"Bonsler" wrote:
Could you possibly explain how you programmed the Panasonic TV remote to recognize the Roku remote commands? The Roku remote worked perfectly until December when it stopped turning off the TV. Roku sent me a new remote but it does the same thing. Everything else works except for turning off the TV and I have to use the Panasonic TV remote to turn off the TV. Just trying to avoid having all these remotes sitting around to view the TV.  We have another streaming+ stick and Ultra stick that function properly on two other TVs. Thanks for your help. 

He didn't say he programmed the Panasonic remote. He uses a universal IR remote that can control both the TV and the Roku. Almost all Roku players support IR control, with the exception of the Sticks.
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sumico95
Visitor

Jump to solution
I am also having this very same problem. Followed instructions to set up remote to Panasonic television. But cannot turn off television with Roku remote; have to use Panasonic remote. How do I solve the problem?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"sumico95" wrote:
I am also having this very same problem. Followed instructions to set up remote to Panasonic television. But cannot turn off television with Roku remote; have to use Panasonic remote. How do I solve the problem?

When you pair the remote with the TV, the device will actually cycle through a series of possible codes for your TV. Usually, when you respond that the device turned the sound off, that's good enough. However, that's not always the case. Sometimes, it's the second set of codes. Or the third. Or, according to some users, the 43rd. No, I'm not making that up, but it was for a different brand I believe.

What you'll need to do is get your TV remote and a notepad to keep up with which code you selected each time through.

If the first only controls the volume, but not the power, next time, use the TV remote to unmute the sound, then tell it no (that's the order). Try the next one that mutes the sound. If the remote now controls the volume and power, you're done. If not, go again, this time advancing to the third one. And so on, until you find one that works.

Note, that you may never find one that works. Or you might. But, that's how to find it, if it exists.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
sumico95
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you very much, DBDukes, for the explanation. We actually found that we can use the microphone to turn off the television. So instead of clicking, we talk and can stick with just one remote.

M. Cohen

0 Kudos
Netguru2000
Visitor

Jump to solution
"Bogman41" wrote:
I found after passing by the first 4 options that made the music disappear (in my case 45th in total tries for the automatic attempts) both power on and off worked for my Panasonic Plasma TV.

The first 2 codes did power on, the next 2 did power off and the last did both! Pain in the butt but just keep trying.

YES! thank you. I just clicked through 45 tries for my Panasonic plasma and the power turned off and on, thanks for your diligence and for posting, I would have never tried so many.
0 Kudos
roforum
Visitor

Jump to solution
I have the Roku stick with enhanced remote.  My tv is a Panasonic.  The remote would do everything except turn the tv off.  After reading this forum I went back to the tv, paired my remote again, went to remote tv setup,  answered no to the question has the music stopped playing until I got to code 45 then answered yes.  Remote now turns off the tv.
0 Kudos
mhowie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
"Viewer00" wrote:
Bless you Bogman41. You saved me untold time, I also have a Panasonic Plasma - 45th choice, you have the patience of a saint!

#45 it is! Thanks!
0 Kudos