Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4802 Remote Battery Lasts 24 hours

The remote was plugged in all night and I turned on the TV this morning with it still plugged in.  The remote showed 100% charge.  However, when left unplugged overnight, the remote is inoperable until plugged in.  Once plugged in for about 2 or 3 minutes, the remote functions and within about 5 minutes shows 100% charged.  The remote also loses TV functions, volume and power and intermittently will work when using the setup remote feature those features are restored.  However this morning setup will not get the TV features working, no volume or power functions.  I have been forced to use the Samsung remote for those features.  Frustrating as my other SIX Roku Ultra devices with AA battery remotes have worked fine.  I have not taken the time to pair one of my AA battery remotes with the Roku Ultra using the rechargeable remote, but I may do that just to get past my current non-functioning remotes.  Remember, I have this problem on TWO rechargeable Roku Ultra remotes.  More than frustrating!!!!!  Roku support has joined the conversation and I hope they will help resolve my problem as a Roku Ultra user with EIGHT (8) devices on my accoiunt.

0 Kudos
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

I took my Rok Ultra AA Battery remote from one of my RV Roku devices and paired it with the Roku Ultra replacing the rechargeable remote last night.  It worked perfectly.  So, I would like to have both Roku Ultra rechargeable remotes that have the battery problem replaced with the Roku remote that uses AA batteries.  I do not want to risk the rechargeable remote failing unless Roku is CONFIDENT it works.  My experience is six Roku Ultras with AA battery remotes with ZERO problems, and two Roku Ultras with rechargeable battery remotes both with problems.  I provide my delivery address, serial numbers of both Roku Ultras with the rechargeable remote problem, and my phone number but I have not had any further response.

Thank you,

Charles Haynsworth

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Hi there, did you get any resolve for this issue?  I recently purchased a 4802 yesterday from Walmart.  So far my remote is working as expected.  After reading through the thread, sounds like faulty batteries that can't hold a charge.  Especially based on description of what happens when applying and disconnecting AC power.  However, it looks like the batteries can't be removed from the new remote so you couldn't simply try new batteries.  Anyway was just wondering if you were able to get this resolved.

The other thing I wanted to ask, since no one else did, did you turn off the always on voice control?  There is a switch on the left side of the remote.  I have mine off, since I don't currently need it.  Just wondering if that would cause drain with it always listening for commands.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@chaynsworth, @iFrog -----

Yes, you do see complaints of Voice Remote Pros that lose their ability to take a charge, but I've had this remote for well over a year and have noticed no loss of charge holding capacity or ability to charge. I don't know if I just happened to have gotten lucky and received a good one, or if my usage pattern has something to do with it.

Many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge. Both my Samsung phone and Lenovo tablet even have optional features that will cut off charging before the battery reaches full charge to prevent or limit this deterioration.

I've always made a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pro from the charger when it reaches full charge, or slightly before. I especially try to avoid letting it charge unattended overnight. The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remote charges fairly quickly. You can check the charge level via Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About on your Roku. If I don't want to exit what I am doing just to check the charge level, I just unplug from the charger and observe the popup on the upper right corner of the screen.

I also have the switch on the side that keeps the microphone active all the time turned OFF.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@makaiguy wrote:

@chaynsworth, @iFrog -----

Yes, you do see complaints of Voice Remote Pros that lose their ability to take a charge, but I've had this remote for well over a year and have noticed no loss of charge holding capacity or ability to charge. I don't know if I just happened to have gotten lucky and received a good one, or if my usage pattern has something to do with it.

Many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge. Both my Samsung phone and Lenovo tablet even have optional features that will cut off charging before the battery reaches full charge to prevent or limit this deterioration.

I've always made a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pro from the charger when it reaches full charge, or slightly before. I especially try to avoid letting it charge unattended overnight. The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remote charges fairly quickly. You can check the charge level via Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About on your Roku. If I don't want to exit what I am doing just to check the charge level, I just unplug from the charger and observe the popup on the upper right corner of the screen.

I also have the switch on the side that keeps the microphone active all the time turned OFF.

Well, I'm not having any issues personally. I was just reading through and was just curious if he got his remote repaired as it sounds like bad batteries, or a bad charging circuit, or a feature like the always on mic draining the batteries.  I noticed that the remote does the wink blink while charing, or also known as breathing, and then turns solid green when done.  I unplugged my remote as soon as it turned solid green.  my remote came with about close to a 60% charge.  So wanted to bring it up to 100 for a full cycle.  So far I've been ok.  I do think though, that Roku should have made the rechargeable batteries replaceable though as batteries do come bad, or die overtime, or charged / discharged incorrectly.  Do you happen to know the type of batteries Roku has chosen to put in the remote? e.g. is it li-ion, or some other form?  Knowing the type of battery will also help people know how to treat it correctly for the best lifespan.

OK, and what's wrong with mentioning the type of batteries here?  I typed out the word and was asked to remove it due to not being allowed on this forum.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@iFrog wrote:

OK, and what's wrong with mentioning the type of batteries here?  I typed out the word and was asked to remove it due to not being allowed on this forum.

When they set up this forum software, they made some very strange choices on what words, or word fragments, to prohibit.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

Roku technical support did replace my remote.  When received I accidently re-programed the OLD remote with the Roku Ultra, so I thought I would test it again.  After using for only a few days the remote failed to work, but would work within a minute of having it plugged in.  The remote would show FULL CHARGE, which seemed funny since it was TOTAL DEAD when it failed to work.  I don't think it is a battery issue, maybe something in the electronics that die.  When plugged back in, the remote worked plugged in and after 5 minutes on the charging cable it would work all evening, but fail to work in the morning.  I am glad that Roku technical support did the right thing and replaced my remote while under warranty.  My Roku Ultra with the re-chhargable remote was less than two months old when this started.

iFrog
Roku Guru

So happy to hear that you a good solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
shadowsknight
Channel Surfer

Thinking about upgrading my older 4670X. However, I am concerned about the idiocy of non-replaceable batteries and now learning about the short usage times!

My older remote takes 2 AA batteries, I use PowerEX NiMh hybrid/precharged 2600mAh batteries, I swap out discharged batteries after several days for fresh charged batteries, put the discharged batteries in my Opus BT-C2400 charger, etc., no big deal.

So I have questions about your post!

1. Are you using voice control all the time or for how much of the time?

2. Are you using your earphones plugged into your remote to listen all the time or for how much of the time?

I REALLY hate the idea of being stuck with built-in rechargeable batteries!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@shadowsknight here are my data points. I'm using the Voice Remote Pro on my Stick 4K+, which is the same remote included with the 4802 Ultra.

I have the voice switch turned off, as I never use voice control. I never use the earphone jack.

My remote was last charged on a trip I took two weeks ago. After charging, I used it at my hotel for three days, then packed it into my suitcase where it remained until my trip this week. I connected it to the hotel TV and network on Monday, and immediately checked the remote battery level. I always make sure my charging cord is in my suitcase, just in case. In this instance, the battery was reporting 93% full. So that was three full days of use, then sitting unused for a week in my suitcase, and it was still nearly full. Now after using it Monday, yesterday, and a bit today, it's still reporting 91% full. 

Bottom line: for myself, I get plenty of life from the rechargeable batteries. I have never unpacked my suitcase and found the remote unusable. Recharging the remote takes very little overall time, so I usually only plug it in every 3rd or 4th trip for less than an hour to top it back off. If this remote was in use every day in a home setting, I would expect the battery to last a month or more between charges, dependent of course on how heavily it is used on a daily basis. Using the headphone jack will diminish that time period significantly. But I see no overall disadvantages to the rechargeable batteries in the Voice Remote Pro.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.