Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3600R remote stopped working, wifi reset so can't connect with the phone ap

Jump to solution

@Ramiro12345 We need to know what model Roku you have to suggest what remote to get. If you have the older purple Stick (model 3500), unfortunately there is no replacement remote available. And frankly, any Roku that old should be replaced anyway as many of the newest channels won't work on that particular device. Disney+ is one example, and there are others. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Ramiro12345
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3600R remote stopped working, wifi reset so can't connect with the phone ap

Jump to solution

Quite clear.

Many thanks for you promt answer. Sure, I'm going to follow your advice.

Saludos

0 Kudos
JoeyG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi looking for help.

have a roku streaming stick 3600R with no remote.

first tried to pair a TCL remote with pairing button, tried multiple times= didn’t connect

tried to pair with phone app but did not connect (multiple times). Not sure if It will connect automatically or I needed to press a certain button?

when I remove the stick from HDMI slot in back of tv I do get a screen that is highlighted ENGLISH but I have no way to accept it(no tv remote works, also the phone app doesn’t work also the tcl roku nor our other roku remote we use on another Samsung tv won’t pair).

I do get a Wi-Fi signal when I look on my iPhone “direct-roku-269-0E1C53” but is asking for a password which I don’t know and even if I did have no device paired to input the PW. Thanks

If you can help or know where I can get help that would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

A Roku Stick can only be controlled with an official Roku remote until it's connected to a network, after which you can use the Roku app for control. A Roku Stick does not have an IR receiver, so basic or universal remotes won't work with them. They must be connected to a network to use any sort of app control, and the only way to connect it to a network is with the official Roku remote. The TCL TV remote will not work with a Roku Stick.

The direct Roku connection is only used to complete a hotel/dorm connection, and it does not offer a way to control the Roku.

If your Roku was previously connected to a WiFi network, you might be able to get an auto-connect if you change your WiFi SSID and password to match the last connection the Roku used successfully. But something like that usually only happens when you make a change to your router and your WiFi settings have changed.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I bought a simple replacement remote for my roku stick.. but i cannot get it to pair. are they not compatible?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The simple remote is IR only, so it doesn't require pairing. However, none of the Roku Stick players support the IR remote. Since they are designed to plug directly into the back of a TV, there's no way IR will work. You must have a WiFi Direct remote for the 3600 or newer Stick. If your Stick is a model older than the 3600 (for example, is the case purple) then Roku no longer offers a replacement remote and your Roku is no longer supported. 

The standard Roku Voice Remote will work on the 3600 Stick. https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote

Dan

0 Kudos