Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Roku Remote working intermittently, but iOS App remote is fine at the same time

Jump to solution

The Roku remote RC406 Firmware 2.01.19.108 works intermittently. Every time it quits responding, I switch to the iOS remote which works every time. I've changed batteries, rebooted, given it the "press the buttons" treatment, etc. It keeps happening. What is the issue here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Remote working intermittently, but iOS App remote is fine at the same time

Jump to solution

I think I found the culprit. The remote seems to be working fine, since a few days ago. I'll also write the Roku support folks so that they consider this case when offering advice to other users.

While trying to load a streaming app to the smart Samsung TV, I noticed there were many apps already loaded which I never used & never intended to use. I deleted 15 or more apps, & once done, the Roku remote started acting normal, that is it is now responsive to every button-push. So I gather there indeed was interference from the TV apps, which I suppose were live in the background creating traffic. I'll watch the operation of the remote a bit further, & in addition, will be checking the TV to see if it automatically downloads apps.

I hope my experience will help other users out there. Thanks to all who commented with their ideas.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Remote working intermittently, but iOS App remote is fine at the same time

Jump to solution

@MissMyBike

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? 

For more information about how to troubleshoot your remote issues, visit our Support page here: Fix your remote

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The issue is that the Roku remote commands intermittently do not result in any action on the screen. Seems the unresponded commands get queued and after several seconds, sometime minutes, the command gets executed. Interesting is that this remote, also has TV power, volume, & mute buttons - all of these work just fine. Another interesting point is that at the same time the remote malfunctions, the iOS app on the phone works just fine. The issue has gotten progressively worse to the point where the Roku remote is not usable. I have rebooted, re-paired, changed the batteries, played with the button to dislodge any debris, but none have fixed the Roku remote.

Today I chatted with a Roku support agent. He is guessing the issue is wifi interference which supposedly can affect the Roku remote but not the mobile app. He ordered an HDMI extender which should arrive in a few days. I think the extender, puts a distance between the Roku Stick & the TV (Samsung) controller box. I hope this resolves the issue. If not, I am guessing the Roku remote is broken.

0 Kudos
TBoneStaek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue. I just bought a new Voice Remote RC691 to replace a simple remote that originally came with my Ultra 4630R from 2017. I bought this replacement as the original remote would become unresponsive and I would need to reboot the Roku to get it to register/respond again. Well unfortunately this new Voice Remote situation is even worse as the remote now is unresponsive every day. The only way to get it to register again is to reboot the Roku, either by using the app (which the Roku immediately responds to) or by unplugging and replugging the Roku (this rebooting it).

I initially thought this was a remote issue but given all of the other complaints I have seen everywhere, I'm beginning to suspect this is a firmware issue that remains unresolved within the Roku itself. There are numerous reports of these issues. Like most people, my remote operates the TV (on/off and volume) just fine, the app on my phone always works, and the remote immediately works again only after the Roku reboots. I'm quite frustrated that I seemingly bought I new remote for absolutely no reason.

I am becoming quite dismayed with the direction Roku has been heading, getting into the content supplying game rather than competing as a platform, the remote issues which have only worsened over time, and I have noticed they no longer sell a Roku version with a dedicated ethernet port which is a nice option for folks who want a consistent, reliable connection.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MissMyBike @TBoneStaek

Thanks for the posts.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel on you wireless network to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I checked the router broadcast channels & the one I am using, according to the router setup utility, is used only by me & no other users in the area were on that channel. So I left the broadcast channel alone. Then I went through & shut off all my devices except the Roku to see if the traffic of devices was in some way causing some interference - it didn't help. Another possible solution was to install a short pig-tail HDMI extender (provided by Roku) to distance the Roku stick from the TV control box, & it didn't help. Then I factory reset the Roku, not realizing that the setup that followed could only be done with the faulty remote, with excrutiating clicks that stalled after one or two button-strokes. So nothing has helped. Roku support wrote back & told me there is nothing more to try, & given I am beyond the warranty period, I should buy another remote. I think I'll wait to try the stick on altogether another TV & Wifi to see if the remote behaves the same. If it continues with problems, I'll know it is the Roku or its remote. If it works, I know my existing setup has some sort of interference in the area. Either way, I think I am at a dead end at my home location.

0 Kudos
MissMyBike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I think I found the culprit. The remote seems to be working fine, since a few days ago. I'll also write the Roku support folks so that they consider this case when offering advice to other users.

While trying to load a streaming app to the smart Samsung TV, I noticed there were many apps already loaded which I never used & never intended to use. I deleted 15 or more apps, & once done, the Roku remote started acting normal, that is it is now responsive to every button-push. So I gather there indeed was interference from the TV apps, which I suppose were live in the background creating traffic. I'll watch the operation of the remote a bit further, & in addition, will be checking the TV to see if it automatically downloads apps.

I hope my experience will help other users out there. Thanks to all who commented with their ideas.

0 Kudos
TBoneStaek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

While I have not investigated different channels on my router; here is the trouble shooting I have done myself. It's not a solution, just some more data on the issue and how I work around it.

The issue appears to happen less than 24 hours after the TV has been used. Perhaps when the Roku goes to sleep. I certainly can come back a few hours later, and the remote works fine. But on more than 1 occasion, I came back less than 24 hours later and the Roku needed to be rebooted.

Also I have found the remote partially works. It appears that it works when I hold the remote about 3-5 feet from the Roku, with direct line of sight (no obstructions like the TV). When it does this, it operates on a delay (I'll push the left button and then up and up again and it takes about 2-3 seconds but works). I am then able to use the remote to reboot the Roku itself and then as pointed out before, the remote operates fine until the next day. No need to break out the app anymore so I have that going for me. Now I just go in my room, grab the remote, walk to the Roku, turn the TV and Roku on, carefully navigate to the reboot screen, reboot the Roku and walk away and brush my teeth and get ready for bed. When I return I have a completely functioning remote.

P.S. Also, forgot to mention by Roku is on my 5GHz wireless network.

0 Kudos