Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Remote stopped functioning besides power and volume buttons

Only the power and volume buttons on my Roku remote are working. We can turn on the TV, however, we are unable to navigate to any apps.  We have three total Roku devices and this remote below is the only one with issues

SKU 3226000674

Model # RC-EL1

FC ID - TC2-R1028

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote stopped functioning besides power and volume buttons

So re-pair the remote to the roku. Unplug the power for a bit from the roku, re-plug it in and after it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment for 3 seconds and release. Let it communicate with roku, it is alright if the light goes out don't touch a thing until you get a big DONE on screen. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Zaher
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue on both my TVs with the stick. Yes it works to unplug the power and plugging back in but this happens all the time on both TVs which are of different models and years. Even got a WiFi extender but did not resolve the issue 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Zaher

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zaher
Reel Rookie

Danny,

the issues seem to have resolved themselves but if it happens again I will get you the information. Thank you very much for the follow up!

0 Kudos
lgannon56

I’m having same issue, only power and volume working.  I tried unplugging and removing batteries to remote.

model #RC-EL1

sku- 32260000674

FC ID - TC2-R1028

0 Kudos
renojim

@lgannon56, have you tried going through the pairing process again?

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

0 Kudos
BobAraw
Reel Rookie

Hi, I have the same issue with the remote not working other than power and volume a few months ago. I started using the app to change channels, etc., but then I changed modems for faster speed and needed to fix the issues with the remote at the same time in order to get the Roku to see the new modem.

I went through all the suggestions on any thread mentioning this issue (repairing, battery replacement, power cycling, etc.) and nothing has worked. I finally tried a factory reset and now I can't select through the menus with the phone app, so I need a working remote. Do I need to buy a new remote or new system entirely? 

Roku Streaming Stick Model 3810x, SN:C137C2605472

Remote Model RC-AL2

0 Kudos
renojim

@BobAraw, if you've tried everything to get the remote to pair then the remote could just be dead.  Does the pairing light flash when you hold the pairing button in for several seconds?

Now that you've factory reset your stick you must have a remote to get it connected to Wi-Fi and since it's a stick you must have a Voice Remote which are apparently hard to find right now.  Try your local Best Buy, Walmart, or possibly Target.  You may just want to abandon the stick and get a new device.

0 Kudos
BobAraw
Reel Rookie

The pairing button still works, the pairing screen still comes up and says it's pairing and then it doesn't pair. The volume and power buttons still work.