Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tobysmom

Roku Remote Interfering with ceiling fan

Jump to solution

Has anyone had issues with your Roku interfering with your ceiling fan?  My fan just goes from low speed to high speed all by itself   I’ve tried changing the dip switches with no luck. Any suggestions appreciated 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Interfering with ceiling fan

Jump to solution

I am assuming the fan has a remote you can use, and it is likely an IR controller. The ceiling fan must use the same IR codes as the Roku. I have had that happen with a Roku remote and a Vizio TV. The Roku remote would control the TV, and it wasn't even the TV the Roku was connected to. 

With overlapping IR codes, there isn't much that can be done, other than attempting to shield the emitter end of the remote when using it so the fan IR receiver doesn't see it. Easier said than done sometimes. 

Depending on the model Roku you have, you might be able to switch to a WiFi Direct remote, so it doesn't emit the Roku IR codes any longer. I switched my Premiere remote with a WiFi remote, and it no longer affected the Vizio TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

I am assuming the fan has a remote you can use, and it is likely an IR controller. The ceiling fan must use the same IR codes as the Roku. I have had that happen with a Roku remote and a Vizio TV. The Roku remote would control the TV, and it wasn't even the TV the Roku was connected to. 

With overlapping IR codes, there isn't much that can be done, other than attempting to shield the emitter end of the remote when using it so the fan IR receiver doesn't see it. Easier said than done sometimes. 

Depending on the model Roku you have, you might be able to switch to a WiFi Direct remote, so it doesn't emit the Roku IR codes any longer. I switched my Premiere remote with a WiFi remote, and it no longer affected the Vizio TV.

Dan

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Remote Interfering with ceiling fan

Jump to solution

my roku remote turns on my fan when I click the home button

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@samuelgriffin 

Do you have a switch on the wall that you can turn to Off?  The fan can only use or receive remote commands if it is receiving power.  

If you do not have a manual switch on the wall (or cannot install one), then the remote replacement mentioned by @atc98092 should resolve your issue.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@samuelgriffin  What sort of fan is it? Ceiling or desk? If your fan responds to Roku IR remotes, there's not much you can do about it. Depending on the model Roku device you have, you might be able to use a WiFi Direct remote, which doesn't use IR to communicate with the Roku.

Dan

0 Kudos
Cracancoj

Jump to solution

can you tell me what remote you switched to?
Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Jeffgwaaa

Jump to solution

For anyone else that comes across this, you can download the Big Ass Fans app to your phone and after pairing it to your fan you can disable “Legacy IR Mode” in the fan’s settings.  

I was about ready to chuck my Roku because of this, so thankfully Big Ass Fans put this in a firmware update.

0 Kudos