Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whiteysall
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote IR only works 1 foot away from Roku Express receiver

I just bought, opened, and set up my Roku Express for my non-smart TV. At first, the remote's IR was working completely fine at a good distance. However, after simply updating the Roku's theme, the IR now only works 1 foot away.

• I have 0 obstructions in front of my receiver, it has a completely unobstructed view.
  • I changed the batteries with completely fresh, new batteries.
  • I cleaned the IR section of the receiver and remote with 99% isopropyl alcohol to ensure it was not dirty.
  • The receiver is plugged into its proprietary charging cable, charging block, and HDMI cable.

I am frustrated at the pure fact that it coincidentally stopped working fully after changing the theme (which, if the product is worth anything, is HOPEFULLY unrelated).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote IR only works 1 foot away from Roku Express receiver

Did you try changing the theme back to what it was when it worked?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Whiteysall
Reel Rookie

Yep, after I reset it (another failed troubleshooting attempt), I ensured the theme was not only not active but also deleted.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Whiteysall,

Thanks for your post. 

It seems that your Roku simple remote is not working as expected. Additional to the troubleshooting, may we ask what is the location spot of your Roku Express? If your Roku player is attached to your TV with the included adhesive strip, move it to a position where the signal is less likely to be blocked. Do not install it inside a closed cabinet or behind your TV.

If still no dice, kindly reply here with the serial number of your Roku device associated with the affected remote from Settings>System>About

Regards,
Nimfa

Whiteysall
Reel Rookie

Hi Nimfa, 

I did use the adhesive strip at first and I had my Roku player at the top of my TV. Then after having the issues begin, I moved it as far as the HDMI would let me in every possible direction with the player having no obstruction from the remote's signal. 

The serial number is X004002V1J0G.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Whiteysall

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

JA7
Reel Rookie

Hi Nimfa

I have this same problem. I recently bought a Roku Express and plugged it into my non-smart TV. Initially the remote worked from about 6 feet away from the Roku receiver but after a couple of days it only worked from 1 foot away from the receiver (so I have to get up and move very close to the receiver every time I want to use the remote). 

There are no obstructions between the remote and receiver (which I have placed in front of the TV).

I also tried replacing the batteries with new ones (but it made no difference).

I wondered if you could please help me and tell me what to do to rectify this.

My serial number is X00400H4VSUF

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @JA7

Welcome to the Roku Community!

The remote for your Roku Express may be experiencing some interference or signal issues. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

• Check the batteries in the remote to make sure they're fresh and properly inserted. Weak or incorrectly placed batteries can cause signal problems.
  • Make sure there are no obstructions between the remote and the Roku receiver. Objects like walls, furniture, or other electronics can interfere with the remote's signal.
  • Try resetting the remote and Roku device. To reset the remote, remove the batteries, then press and hold the pairing button located in the battery compartment for at least 3 seconds. To reset the Roku device, go to "Settings" > "System" > "System restart".
  • Try pairing the remote with the Roku device again. To do this, remove the batteries from the remote, unplug the Roku device, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in. When the Roku device finishes restarting, put the batteries back in the remote.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
JA7
Reel Rookie

My thanks for your reply Lianna

I will give this a try.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @JA7

Thank you for the post!

You are most certainly welcome! Your satisfaction is essential to us! Know that we're only a message if there's anything else we can help you with. Happy streaming!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos