Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickapel
Channel Surfer

Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

Used Roku iOS app on my iphone 12 and noticed in a 1 hour period and noticed my iphone was extremely warm when I picked it up. Checked battery stats and noticed Roku app was at 84% utilization in relation to other apps. iOS is 16.4.1 (updated one day ago)  and I update my apps on a daily basis so the Roku app would be at the current level. I connect to 5 devices in total with that app. 

In settings, I allow local network access (obviously have to do that for it to work), Siri and Notifications are off, Background App Refressh is off, and I always keep Cellular Data off.

Is anyone else noticing these issue

Labels (1)
51 REPLIES 51
halwel
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote App Draining iPad Battery (Private Listening)

Since the latest update (8.11.0.47), the Roku iPad remote app is draining my battery significantly while Private Listening is engaged.  Has used 50% of iPad Pro battery—large!—in just 3h, and battery section shows 81% due to Roku Remote app, in background.  Not due to screen being left on or anything:  This has happened with the Roku Remote app running minimized, in background, with iPad screen off.

Since there’s no longer any way to report an issue to Support (that I can find—is Roku really that big now, that they don’t allow users to contact them directly??!!), I’m hoping this will catch the eye of support and they’ll look in to what changes were made to cause this sudden huge increase in battery usage by the app.  Has never been an issue before (I use Private Listening every night).  If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, or knows of a fix, please reply.  Thanks.

halwel
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Remote App Draining iPad Battery (Private Listening)

Issue has not reoccurred, must have been temporary glitch solved by reboot of iPad.  Consider matter closed, but can’t find a way to delete post….

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@halwel wrote:

Issue has not reoccurred, must have been temporary glitch solved by reboot of iPad.  Consider matter closed, but can’t find a way to delete post….

We appreciate the update! No worries about deleting your post, it may help someone else out. Thanks for your contribution and keep us updated if things change.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
halwel
Reel Rookie

Same issue occurring again, as bad or worse:  This morning, app drained iPad battery from around 80% to 29% in just 2h—and during much of that time I wasn’t even watching anything, the app was just connected and waiting for me to stream something, with the iPad screen off.  I just noticed when I turned it on to look something up and was surprised to see my battery at 29%.  

Issue is happening a lot the past couple of weeks.  Sometimes, restarting the iPad helps; others (like now) it doesn’t.  I’ve restarted recently and the remote app is still using ridiculous amount of power, again just while running without even streaming anything.

Can your engineers look in to this and see if they can figure out why this is happening with recent version(s)?  Never had a problem with this while using the app for 2-3 years till earlier this year.

See screenshots:

After restart, while chargingAfter restart, while charging80%-29% <2h, only Roku running80%-29% <2h, only Roku runningHuge drop in couple hours, Roku only active appHuge drop in couple hours, Roku only active app

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @halwel 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing regarding the Roku mobile app draining your mobile device battery.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• mobile device brand, model, and current OS
  • Roku mobile app version and build
  • when did you start seeing this issue occur
  • what are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Roy8
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku iOS app causing an excessive battery drain

iPhone 13 Pro Max was overheating with massive battery drain since recent update to iOS 16.4.1

After uninstalling the Roku app everything has been normal. Waiting for Roku to update app before reinstalling. 

Willdo
Reel Rookie

Having exactly the same problem iPhone 13 pro max.. massive battery drain and hot phone

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi Community Users, 

Thanks for letting us know about the battery drain issue on your phone when using a Roku mobile app. 

We'd like to look into this further. May we ask if you are using private listening on the Roku mobile app? Have you noticed using certain features on the Roku app when the issue occurs? When did you start seeing this issue?

Let us know the details. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Roy8
Reel Rookie

Ever since the last iOS 16.4.1 update. While listening using earbuds, it’ll start warming up after one hour also the battery will start draining. I’ve always used my earbuds never a problem until last iOS update. 
My iPhone is a 13 Pro Max