Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MDV_Mustang
Reel Rookie

Roku Premiere remote stopped working

The remote for my ROKU Premiere has stopped working. I’ve tried changing batteries, resetting the remote and holding it right up to the IR receiver. 

how do I go about getting a replacement?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere remote stopped working

First, you need to verify if it's the remote or the Premiere itself.  The IR receiver in my Premiere no longer works, but I've abused it and may have damaged it taking it apart.  You can see if the remote is transmitting by using a digital camera like the one in your phone.  Point the remote at the camera and press a button and you should see a flash of light on the camera screen.

If the Premiere is no longer under warranty you can get any of the current Roku remotes or a universal remote that supports Roku devices.

Accessories | Roku Player, Streaming Stick, Smart TV & Audio Accessories | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MDV_Mustang
Reel Rookie

I’ve tried pointing it at the camera on my mobile phone and pressing every button, but I cannot see any difference.

My Roku Premiere is only 2 months old and has been used just a handful of times. When I tried to reach Roku directly to resolve the matter it pointed me to this forum. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

I’ve tried pointing it at the camera on my mobile phone and pressing every button, but I cannot see any difference. ...

That means the remote is not transmitting. I know you said you changed your batteries, but it is possible for a package of batteries to be bad. Can you test the "new" batteries?

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

... My Roku Premiere is only 2 months old and has been used just a handful of times....

Who sold you a Premiere as new only two months ago? The Premiere was dropped from the lineup nearly a year ago. I would ask that retailer why they sold you a discontinued item as new. Unless of course, you bought it at a discount and/or closeout. Then, yeah, you bought a discontinued item and knew it.

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

...When I tried to reach Roku directly to resolve the matter it pointed me to this forum. 

Unfortunately Roku doesn't replace just the remote. You would need to replace the entire device, to include the remote. I've used Roku device warranty replacement. Took around a week for everything once I got the RMA.

Your other options that are not fun are:

1. Buy a cheap universal remote from Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc. Just make sure it says that it supports Roku.
  2. Upgrade to a Voice Remote. While your device came with an IR remote, it also supports the Voice Remote. They're $20 from Walmart, Best Buy, etc. You could walk in and get one. Or order online if you don't mind waiting.

Apart from that, you're looking at a warranty replacement via the link @renojim provided. Get your receipts together for proof of purchase and date and go through that process.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MDV_Mustang
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes wrote:

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

I’ve tried pointing it at the camera on my mobile phone and pressing every button, but I cannot see any difference. ...

That means the remote is not transmitting. I know you said you changed your batteries, but it is possible for a package of batteries to be bad. Can you test the "new" batteries?

I've tried multiple batteries in the remote from two different packages.

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

... My Roku Premiere is only 2 months old and has been used just a handful of times....

Who sold you a Premiere as new only two months ago? The Premiere was dropped from the lineup nearly a year ago. I would ask that retailer why they sold you a discontinued item as new. Unless of course, you bought it at a discount and/or closeout. Then, yeah, you bought a discontinued item and knew it.

I purchased the Premiere at my local Target, where it was advertised as being on sale, not discontinued, and is still being sold to this day. 

Target - ROKU Premier HD 4K HDR Streaming Media Player 

Are you saying that ROKU should no longer honor their warranty for devices that have been discontinued?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@MDV_Mustang  There are different models of the Roku Premiere. Stores often sell models that years old. Just cause you purchased it does not mean it is the most recent model. But how long ago did you purchase it? What is the exact model #? If you bought it 2 months ago then you can file a warranty claim. Did you try new batteries? 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
MDV_Mustang
Reel Rookie

I purchased it in January 2022. This is the version as it appears on the ROKU website.

Roku Premiere 

I have tried multiple batteries. I opened a case with ROKU support yesterday but am still waiting to be contacted.

I have no problem exchanging the entire unit. It only gets used when I travel or am supporting an older relative who lives alone a few states away. We upgraded him to a TCL ROKU TV to eliminate all of his external boxes and give him a simpler interface. I use the ROKU Premiere on my LG OLED so that I can better walk him through using his TV when he gets frustrated,

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

... I purchased the Premiere at my local Target, where it was advertised as being on sale, not discontinued, and is still being sold to this day. 

Target - ROKU Premier HD 4K HDR Streaming Media Player 

I am surprised to see that, but yes, I see that. Target is indeed selling a discontinued item. My guess is that when they sell out, they're out, as Roku is no longer making those, and as I said, dropped them from their lineup nearly a year ago.

@MDV_Mustang wrote:

... Are you saying that ROKU should no longer honor their warranty for devices that have been discontinued?

I'm saying nothing of the sort. Because of how long the item has been discontinued, I was concerned that a retailer may have sold a refurbished item as new. But yes, it's on sale precisely to get rid of stock of a discontinued item. A closeout. The length of time between its discontinuance and your purchase seems unusually long, but Target must have overbought, or sales overall were really slow. And a shame, as it is a pretty good little device. At least, mine was.

You will need your receipt for proof of purchase, as the item has a one-year warranty, if you end up having to replace it. That's standard to present the proof of purchase for any return.

By the way, if Target sold a Roku 1 model 2710 that was still brand new in the box, Roku should, of course, honor the warranty on the device, even though it was discontinued in 2016. New items have the warranty new items have.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@MDV_Mustang-

Meanwhile, if you have an Android or iOS phone, you can install the Roku app on the phone and, assuming your Premiere is still connecting to your home network, use the Roku app on your phone as a remote. 

In the event your Premiere is NOT connected to  your network, or if you should ever lose your Premiere's network connection later, you can't use the Roku app to set it back up again, so I'd suggest you still want to get a working remote,  if only for use as a backup.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X