Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jprkas
Reel Rookie

Roku Keeps scrolling and won't stop at all.

Hi

Having the problem that has been posted before. When my Roku express remote is pointed at (vizio) TV it just scrolls non stop & device/player lights flashes/ flickers. Tried rebooting, changing batteries etc nothing works. Do I need a new remote and or complete new Device or is there a solution. Any advice will be appreciated as i'm a oldie and not much use with this. Had to get someone else to set me up.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Keeps scrolling and won't stop at all

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community, @jprkas!

We see that you're experiencing issues with your Roku remote, and we're here to help you with this. Before we begin, could you please check to see if there's a button that might be stuck? Also, when did the issue occur? Did restarting the device help?

In the meantime, please consider using our Roku mobile app for temporary and backup remotes. For detailed instructions, please refer to our dedicated support article: How to use the Roku mobile app.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jprkas
Reel Rookie

Hi

Thanks for your reply, no it's not a stuck button. Tried all the steps advised on here. Just scrolls non stop when remote is pointed at Roku receiver. Can stop the scrolling by holding down any button, but once released menu starts scrolling again, cannot do anything else. Any advice, have not got the knowledge to try anything else ie. phone app etc

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jprkas, how do you know it's not a stuck button?  Does the scrolling stop if you take out a battery?  You can also see if the remote is constantly transmitting by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone.  When you press a button on the remote (or if it's constantly transmitting something) you'll see a flash coming from the end of the remote on the camera's screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Remember the stuck key doesn't have to be on the Roku remote itself, it can be any remote in the room bombarding the express with IR interference. Then a Roku command gets caught in feedback loop.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BillSchaefer
Reel Rookie

Roku Keeps scrolling and won't stop at all!

My roku menu keeps scrolling. I got lucky once and got to the reset and it didn't stop it. Can you hekp me out?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Keeps scrolling and won't stop at all!

Hi @BillSchaefer, we appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you have experienced issues with your Roku remote, and we would like to learn more about this problem. Can you please provide the following information to assist you better?

• Was there any recent update on your Roku device before this issue occurred?
  • Is this the remote that came with your Roku device, or was this purchased separately?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted?
In the meantime, here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot your physical remote.
Reboot your voice remote
If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.
  1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote
If the issue persists, replace the batteries in your voice remote and insert them using the same steps provided above. After doing so, pair them again to see if this makes any difference.
For reference, here's the support article dedicated to this: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Jharra
Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BillSchaefer
Reel Rookie

I do not have a voiuce remote, but i changed the batteries anyway for no help. The remote came with the set I bought from Target. As I mentioned I was able to reset the unit back to factory settings but it didn't help. Yes there was a software update before it happened but it was a seek or two before. I also tried unplugging the unit from the pwer source for 24 hours and that didn't help. Pleae help me out!

Bill

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @BillSchaefer and @jprkasThank you for keeping us updated.

To resolve the issue of remote skipping or scrolling, you can try restarting your Roku device. If you have a Roku TV with "Fast start" enabled, simply turning it off and on will not give you a complete restart, as it only puts the TV into and out of a standby state.

We also recommend restarting your Roku streaming device. Go to Settings < System > Power > System Restart to do this. After this reboot, check to see if you notice any difference. 

If a restart doesn't solve the problem, or if you are unable to navigate the Roku menus with the remote, you can also perform a restart by unplugging the power cord from the Roku for a few seconds, then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.