Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidperez
Binge Watcher

Roku 4K Streaming Stick will not control AOC TV

I've been using a Roku Express for THREE YEARS.  It worked.  It controlled the AOC TV that's sitting right in front of me.  Because of problems with Roku and Youtube TV we're having to REPLACE the Express units with 4F Streaming sticks (all this is just for background - it's not my first rodeo).

Did Streaming Stick in Family room.  Works.  Controls the TV.

Replaced the Express with the Streaming stick in my Office.  Also WORKS.  Remote can talk to the Roku, can get to home page, can connect to network.  But I CANNOT get it to control the TV.  It's a AOC that's been in use WITH A ROKU EXPRESS for the last couple years.  Worked fine.

I CAN GET INTO THE TV SETUP.  It KNOWS it's an AOC.  Goes through the first 3 and the music never stops.  Tell it to continue and it ONLY goes through 2 more codes then tells me it can't control the TV.

If a $20 Express can do it I PRESUME a $50 4K Streaming Stick should be able to.  HOW do I force this "thing" to control the TV?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4K Streaming Stick will not control AOC TV

The original Roku remote that comes with an Express is an IR remote, meaning no TV buttons. You must have remote bought after the express, if the express isn't working, take its remote and pair it to the Roku Stick, if the remote controls the AOL tv, it will still control it paired to a different Roku. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
davidperez
Binge Watcher

The devices we WERE using were/are Roku Model 3931X, which appears to be an Express+.  I'm not sure what "TV Buttons" are,  but I've got 3 TVs in 3 different rooms.  They all have (HAD) the same "Roku Express" devices on them.  The devices HAVE a volume and a mute, and they ALL changed the volume, muted and turned the TVs they are/were attached to ON AND OFF.  They've been working for at LEAST 2 years.

RECENTLY, we've had to switch to NEW Roku devices.  We elected to switch to the 4K Streaming sticks because of the improved network range, which even though we were a straight shot to the router and within 20 feet, the old Express+ units ALWAYS complained of a POOR signal.

FIRST, we replaced the Express on the Samsung TV in the family room.  That WAS successful, and it now controls the volume and the Samsung TV on and off.

Yesterday I made the 60 mile trip to purchase ANOTHER 4K Streaming Stick, Model 3820R for the AOC TV in my office. 

The NEW remote paired with the Roku, I have access to the screens, set up the network, and can access programming.  What I CANNOT do is get the remote to make the &^%$#@! music stop for any of the FIVE codes it tries with the TV.  Again, it WILL ONLY ATTEMPT 5 CODES. 

I've paired it.  I've reset it.  I've powered everything down.  I've paired again, I've reset, I've told the roku its a new device.  I've even told the Roku it's a Toshiba TV to see if THAT would work.  It didn't.

-------------------------

In desperation, I have now taken the OLD remote, which looks virtually identical to the NEW Streaming Stick Remote (except that the 4 buttons at the bottom are "Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV and Paramount+" on the NEW remote instead of "Netflix hulu, VUDU and sling".  I managed to pair the OLD  remote with the Streaming Stick.  It (the Streaming Stick) now appears to think I have TWO remotes paired. 

Using the OLD remote, I was able to go into the remote setup and respond to the "Is the music playing" screen.  IT DID NOT STOP AT FIVE CODES.  With the NEW remote the Streaming stick ONLY goes through FIVE codes before it tells me the Roku will NOT work with this AOC Tv.  With the OLD remote, it went through 8 or 9 codes until I found one where the music STOPPED.  WITH THE OLD REMOTE, I am able to control the TV.  The volume changes, mutes, and turns the TV on and off.

NOW HOW DO I MAKE THE NEW REMOTE DO THIS?  'Cause it's sitting in front of me and it WON'T change volume, mute OR turn the TV on or off.  Pairing, telling the Roku it's a new device, nothing works.  It ONLY present FIVE codes instead of the 8 or 9 NEEDED to get the Roku to control the TV. 

And this remote ISN'T going to be here - it's going out in the RV for use when we travel.

SO, HOW do I make the new remote work?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

It's probably do to patent problem which was taken care of by software update, result less remote codes available. So, why can't you take the new remote pair to Roku express setup on the Samsung tv? It my not have as many codes for AOC but it should have one for Samsung. 

Edmund

davidperez
Binge Watcher

I've gotta stop providing so much information 'cause y'all keep veering off...

The SAMSUNG is in the family room.  It has NOTHING to do with this.  I'm TRYING to get the NEW REMOTE that came with the streaming stick to work on the AOC TV IN THE OFFICE.

It, the NEW remote, ONLY gets the THE "did the music stop" screen to DISPLAY 5 CODES.  The code NEEDED is about the 8th or 9th code.  The OLD REMOTE from the Express+ GETS THE "did the music stop" screen to display THE 8th or 9th code as NEEDED. 

I WANT THE NEW REMOTE TO OPERATE THE AOC TV.  If there's no answer in here, how do I get a live human, onshore in the US, with the knowledge to get this working?  As with most of these ^%$#@ companies Roku appears to be doing a stellar job of making it difficult to get actual support, so I need a phone number that'll get someone knowledgeable.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Try the codes under Envision? 

Edmund