Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raharris11
Channel Surfer

Roku 4 (4400x) remote has lost its mind

Starting a couple of days ago, my Roku remote is not executing the intended button presses.  If I press the up arrow it thinks I want to execute a voice command.  Right arrow seems to work normally, but the down arrow seems to execute a down arrow plus a left arrow command.  I have tried new batteries, restarted the device itself several times, etc., but it keeps doing the same behavior.  Is my remote just done?  BTW, using the app on my phone the commands execute correctly.  Thanks for any ideas you may have...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4 (4400x) remote has lost its mind

@raharris11 

They are physical contacts. They get dirty. They wear. And if wear and dirt/dust combine and two internal contacts are closed with a single press, you'll get what you are experiencing.

If that is the remote that came with the device, it's six to seven years old, as the Roku 4 was in production from 2015 to 2016. And the remote is the most physically used part of a Roku setup.

If dirt/dust is contributing to it, then blowing it out with air -- compressed air cans may be useful, the same ones that can be used to clean a computer keyboard -- may help. If it's wear, there's not much to be done.

If a replacement is in order, any of the Voice Remotes ($20-$30, available at Walmart, Best Buy, many other retailers) will work on it, or any eventual Roku replacement device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

raharris11
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, @DBDukes. I suspected as much, but it was a little odd that multiple things started at once.  Anyway, I appreciate the input!

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Are you sure somebody didn't spill something on it? Or something deciding to mark it's territory? I have a Roku 4 with the RC-TR2 remote (label in battery compartment.) It's rarely been used as I have always used a universal remote for my Roku's.

You may want to look at this. Shows how to take the remote apart and repair it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Roku+4+Remote+Control+Buttons+Replacement/86729 

0 Kudos
raharris11
Channel Surfer

I live alone so I am pretty sure nothing like that happened, but never say never.  I will take a look at the link....thanks!  I might just wait until they put the Ultra back on sale and pick one of those up....

0 Kudos