Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syznow

Re: Roku Remote Low Battery Indicator (EXTREME ANNOYANCE!)

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra and jsut purchased a Voice REmote Pro which I added to the remote list.  This means I have the original remote and the newer remote both registered on the Roku Ultra.  It has been about a month, and suddenly I started getting these same annoying low battery indicators popping up whenver I am streaming.  I think my popups might be related to new remote pro, because I get popups saying 97% battery level.  If I charge the remote pro fully and then unplug the charging cable, then the popups stop for a while.  If I leave the remote charging while streaming, then the popups seems to stop completely.  But I know constantly charging is bad for the rechargable batteries in the remote as well as making the remote very unhandy to use.  I hope this bit of information will help Roku find and solve this problem.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Syznow

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you are using the new Voice Remote Pro, have you tried disconnecting the Ultra device's original remote to see if the alert still shows up?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@KTHOM

Thanks for the post.

Do you have any other remotes that are linked to that Roku device by any chance?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Krawk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra just started doing this a week ago.

Every time I use the remote, I get a remote battery at 0% warning.  At random when I am not using the remote, I get the warning too.This is the original remote, I am using Duracell Quantum batteries.

If the battery was at 0% how come I can use it in bed, under the blankets with zero issue? Surely a 0% battery life would not be able to penetrate blankets, right?

Secondary -- I wish the issue between Roku <> Vizio would get resolved. The momentary blackout of the screen every six hours or so is another annoyance that has been documented.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This issue could be EASILY FIXED if Roku simply did one of two things. Either remove the battery warning from the software so that it NEVER pops onto the screen, or simply create an option in the settings to toggle this "feature" ON and OFF! I have recommended this before but of course it has gone ignored!

Instead of doing something as simple as I suggest the issue is ignored and all "RokuDanny-R" does is post the same stupid questions all the time asking for serial numbers, and now asking people to unpair the original remote if you paired a new remote to your Roku, none of that matters!

The bottom line is that the Roku programmers deliberately PUT THIS ANNOYANCE into the app on purpose to pop up battery levels, so the solution is simple, either REMOVE it or let us TURN IT OFF in the settings!

The warning does not work, it constantly tells you your batteries are low or dead when they still work for weeks! It's malfunctioning, so get rid of it!

"RokuDanny-R" when you read this please don't ask for my serial number, just pass on exactly what I said to the programming team and get this resolved!

For how long this issue has gone on this is completely unacceptable. Show some customer service Roku and FIX THIS ANNOYANCE immediately please!

We are all capable of removing our batteries from our Roku remotes and replacing them when button presses no longer activate the Roku! We don't want or need this insane battery warning!

Krawk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think it's neat to be able to go into the setting screen and see what the remote battery level is (approximately) but I agree, it should not be spamming the screen constantly. When the remote stops working altogether, we generally try new batteries at first.

It sat at 28% for approximately six months. It sat at zero percent for over a month.

Lubalin

Jump to solution

I'm getting the same issue. Seems to be triggered when I use rechargeable batteries. When I test them, they're more or less full. 

Any movement on a software fix for this? 

0 Kudos
Skdionne76

Jump to solution

You said this so perfectly lol. Lose the battery icon Roku!

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't seem to understand this simple principle: it's not a feature if nobody wants it.

RickFoley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat, remote works fine battery indicator says it's empty.  Stupid thing pops up with every button press .  It's not a feature it's a bug, battery measurements have never worked well.  The popup definitely needs a rate limit if it gets displayed at all.  It's not rocket science for end users to track down a low battery when remote buttons stop responding...