Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astro0

Remotes fully interchangeable?

The Roku website currently offers three different styles of replacement remote. It also has a feature to match your particular Roku device(s) to a new remote. Is that just some upsell mechanism, or are the various remotes truly not actually universally compatible with all Roku boxes?

I have four very different Roku models, and would like to get a new top of the line remote to replace my main unit, and promote its remote to the oldest Roku, a 55” TCL Roku TV.

But the website only offers one suggested remote for one of the models, and no remotes are matched for the other models.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remotes fully interchangeable?

Roku has its "simple remote", which controls via infrared (IR) signals.   All roku devices with IR receivers respond to the same set of IR commands so for those Rokus the simple remotes are interchangeable.  Universal IR remotes that have built in commands for Roku devices are interchangeable for IR equipped devices as well.

Roku tvs come with IR remotes, but they use a different set of IR commands than Roku devices do.   IR remotes are not interchangeable between Roku devices and Roku tvs.

Roku also has Voice Remotes that control by wifi.  Roku Streaming Stick products can only be controlled by wifi, as they are normally used behind the tv where IR cannot reach, so they don't have IR receptors.   Roku TVs and all but some fairly old Roku devices are compatible with these as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim

You might want to list the model numbers (found under Settings->System->About) for each of your Roku devices and someone here is sure to tell you what's compatible.

There are some very old Roku devices for which Roku no longer supplies a remote (like the 3500), but anything in the last few years should have a remote available.

In general, any device that connects via an HDMI cable (and doesn't simply plug right into the TV) can work with any Roku remote.  Any recent stick can work with either of the voice remotes (the 3500 being one that does not as well as the old MHL sticks), but not the simple remote.  Any Roku TV can work with either of the voice remotes, but not the simple remote.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

And to what everyone has said, 3700 express and 3710 express+ only can be controlled by Roku Simple IR remote, no Wifi voice remotes at all. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos