Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJK12
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote won’t pair light blinking but stuck on pair your remote screen

Yes, it does have the long-range piece and it is a part of my setup. Like others have shared, I’ve tried holding the remote right next to this piece when pairing to no avail. It’s odd that it recognizes the remote and that one needs to be paired, but it never completes the pairing process.  The remote pairing process wouldn’t be be using my wifi in any way, would it?  Or could this be a 2.4ghz/5ghz channel issue I sometimes have when pairing other smart devices?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@BJK12 wrote:

... Or could this be a 2.4ghz/5ghz channel issue I sometimes have when pairing other smart devices?

We don't know about your issue. This is the first time you've mentioned that. You wanna describe it? And if you are having issues pairing other devices, then yeah, it's probably something interfering with your network. But if you shared the details, perhaps someone may have some insight or ideas about working around it.

@BJK12 wrote:

... The remote pairing process wouldn’t be be using my wifi in any way, would it? ...

Yes, they are WiFi Direct remotes and they use WiFi. They communicate directly during setup, which is why they should be relatively close during setup. But after that, they're on your WiFi network and communicate over the network, not directly as during setup.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BJK12
Channel Surfer

Since the remotes use wifi, does it matter whether 2.4ghz or 5ghz channel is used?  I know with some other smart devices (thermostats, lights, etc), that they only work with 2.4ghz channels.  I have an ASUS router where there is not a distinct channel for 2.4 or 5 ghz, but just one channel that uses the strongest signal to connect.  I'll see if I can work around this with my router,  but just curious if there are channel requirements for the remotes.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@BJK12 

Your device is dual band. Shouldn't make a difference.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BJK12
Channel Surfer

Thanks!  Looks like I’ll be exchanging it.  That was my last hope! 🤣

0 Kudos
jah_1
Channel Surfer

Hello -

I'm having a very similar issue as noted by others.  Everything was fine, then something (unobserved) happened and our Roku stick lost it's Wifi connection.  This in turn broke the remote functionality as well as the ability to talk to my (previously paired) phone.

I've tried everything on the thread, soft-reset, hard-reset, batteries out of the remote then back in just after the hard-reset, holding the remote 1" away from the Roku stick.

At this point, I'm guessing the wifi adapter or driver inside of the Roku is broken. It's weird so many people are having this issue around the same time, did a forced update go out that possibly broke the wifi driver?

Here are my details:

Model: 3810X

SN: C13895433638

0 Kudos
Kait0823

Same! Brand new out of the box and will not pair to remote. I’ve troubleshooted for 3 hours trying to get it to work. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jah_1 @Kait0823

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Fix your remote

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jah_1
Channel Surfer

HI @RokuDanny-R, I have tried everything on the support page you referenced. Since my Roku lost it's connection to my wifi access point prior to the hard-reset, I'm concerned that the wireless adapter in my Roku died, or a recent firmware update killed the wireless driver.

Is there any other way to control the Roku with to test these assumptions? Obviously my phone is no longer paired after the hard-reset.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
llibbey

I am having the same problem as other with remote not pairing and stuck on the remote screen.  You mention the long-range wireless receiver cable with the bump in it.  My Roku has low power and demands that it be wired into wall outlet.  The cable is too short, will not reach the outlet???????

0 Kudos