Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k9trainer1

Remote turns TV on but won’t turn the Roku device on, I have unplug it and plug it back in.

I had this happen before and I have no idea how to fix it. The remote will turn on the tv and function but the Roku device will not turn on. I have to unplug it and then plug it back in. I have re-done the remote set up several times It will seem to work momentarily but then the next time I am right back to where I started. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Remote turns TV on but won’t turn the Roku device on, I have unplug it and plug it back in.

A Roku does not turn on or off they are always on. But they go to a low power mode which means they go to sleep. Let me guess you turn your TV on and you see no input on your screen. But if you press the home button on your Roku remote your Roku will wake up. You can also go to settings/network and disable the bandwidth saver feature. Which Roku model do you have? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote turns TV on but won’t turn the Roku device on, I have unplug it and plug it back in.

@k9trainer1 

Some Roku devices -- uncertain which -- have received an update with OS 10.5 and OS 11 that adds a power option to the menu. I don't have it, so I can't tell you exactly where to look for it, but I understand it's Settings > System > Power or something similar.

If you have that, the new setting could be putting the Roku device in low power mode. If that's happening, then that might explain what's going on. The power button on the remote is NOT for the Roku device. It's for the TV only. Now, powering up the TV might wake up the Roku from screensaver mode, but not necessarily from a low power mode. So check for that setting.

And hitting the Home button on the remote will usually wake the Roku device. Try that, since that's probably easier than pulling the power cord.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos