Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WStephenWilson
Reel Rookie

Remote stops working after a few clicks

Just got my new Roku Express 4K+.  Followed all the Quick Start Guide.  It gets started, but the remote only works for a few clicks.  I can usually set up English as my language, but when it finds the WiFi, it might not let me navigate to mine.  If it does, and I want to insert my password, I managed to get to the first letter once before it stops responding.  Then I reset the Roku and try to start over.  Not sure what to do now.  No one to talk to at Roku.  I suppose I could try to return it.  Yes, I tested the batteries, they are good.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote stops working after a few clicks

Hi @WStephenWilson

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend starting with the troubleshooting steps available in this Support link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working. Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@WStephenWilson-

This sounds suspiciously like weak batteries in the remote.  Have you tried putting in a fresh set?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
WStephenWilson
Reel Rookie

Thanks.  All works now (as it should).  I think the key was the hidden reset button on the remote, something unmentioned in the quick startup.  

0 Kudos
WStephenWilson
Reel Rookie

You must have missed the "Yes, I tested the batteries, they are good." in my post.  The batteries included with the Roku are actually good batteries, unlike some outfits that use only the cheapest batteries you can find.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Glad it works now, but the button in the battery compartment isn't reset button, its pairing button to link your remote to the Roku by wifi. It resets nothing. A wifi voice remote if not paired to a given Roku or the Roku is unplugged from power the Voice remote would emit IR for Roku commands, if the Roku was buried and not have direct line of sight to the remote some commands might reach some not. But once paired the Roku commands can go through walls. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
WStephenWilson
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the explanation.  I think the bottom line is that the IR part of my remote/Roku connection doesn't work particularly well.  I was assuming it was the connection and it wasn't working.  As the WiFi connection works I guess I don't need to worry about it though.  S

0 Kudos