Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Levicressler
Reel Rookie

Remote stopped working after 3 days

My roku remote worked fine for three days. Suddenly last night it stopped working. We changed batteries in the event they were bad. Still nothing. I unplugged the Roku software and plugged back in. Still nothing. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote stopped working after 3 days

@Levicressler 

It is always helpful to know which Roku device you have. Model number is helpful.

Roku ships two different remotes, and the model number will help determine which it is.

If the remote is IR, then use your cell phone camera to see if the remote is working. Looking through the camera directly into the end of the IR remote, you'll see a light that corresponds to the button presses.

If it's a WiFi remote, that is not a proper test.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Levicressler
Reel Rookie

The device says Model # 3930X

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@Levicressler  The 3930 is the low cost budget Roku Express. It comes with an IR remote. That means it needs a clear line of sight in order to function properly. Be sure nothing is blocking the Roku Express box from getting a signal from the remote. 

atc98092

@Levicressler double check your batteries to ensure they are inserted correctly. Some Roku remotes have the batteries in the same orientation, while others have one pointing up and the other down. It's easy to insert them incorrect, and I've done it myself more than once. The remote has the correct orientation in the battery compartment, but it can be difficult to see them sometimes. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Levicressler
Reel Rookie

The batteries are in the correct way. Still no usage of the remote

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for checking. Odds are the remote has simply failed. You can buy an inexpensive universal IR remote for under $10, buy a new Roku IR remote ($15 on their web site), or use the free Roku control app on a phone or tablet. Just be aware the Roku has to be connected to your home network for the app to work, so if you ever lose network connection you're back to requiring an IR remote to do anything.

If you've only had your Roku for a few days, it's of course still under warranty. Just not certain it's worth the hassle for such an inexpensive part. You might also just do a factory reset and return it to where you bought it and get a replacement. My oldest Roku remote is 10+ years old, so it's not common for them to fail early. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
2kfkb
Reel Rookie

Hello User!

Have you tried installing the Roku app and then connecting to the TV or Roku Product?

If so, Try repairing it through Settings.

I hope this helps!

♥️ Matthew

NOTE:
I am not a Roku Employee.
I am just trying to help users.
♥️ Matthew
0 Kudos