Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PattyS
Channel Surfer

Remote must be less than 6 inches from tv to work. Suggestions???

Why does my remote need to be less than 6 inches from the TV to work?  I changed the batteries twice.  Help please!

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote must be less than 6 inches from tv to work. Suggestions???

Hi @PattyS

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

It has been like this since I bought the Roku a couple weeks ago.  Not to be lazy….but getting up to change the channel is annoying.  (I do remember the days of no remote and truly appreciate not getting up each time.)  The remote has to literally be inches from the sensor for it to work. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Tatman280

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, when you said that your TV is Roku supported, do you mean it has a Roku built-in to it? If yes, please be advised that remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We would recommend reaching out to the TV manufacturer's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@PattyS assuming you are referring to a Roku TV, and not a Roku player connected to a TV, note that every Roku TV I've seen comes with the basic IR remote. This means the remote has to have a clear line of sight between the remote and the detector window on the TV. I can't say exactly where that detector window is on your TV, as there are more than a dozen manufacturers that build Roku TVs and they might put them in different places. But it is almost certain to be along the bottom of the TV frame, usually in one corner or the other. If you have anything sitting in front of the TV anywhere along the bottom of the screen, try moving them.

You do have the option to buy a WiFi Direct remote for about $20. Then the line of sight issue goes away, and you can use the remote from anywhere within 30 feet of so of the TV. You can buy Roku WiFi remotes from most any store that sells Roku devices, or directly from Roku here

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

No, it is not built in. The sensor is taped to the TV as instructed in the booklet.  It makes no sense that the remote has to be so close for it to work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@PattyS wrote:

No, it is not built in. The sensor is taped to the TV as instructed in the booklet.  It makes no sense that the remote has to be so close for it to work.

I'm sorry, that makes no sense. I don't know of any Roku that comes with an IR sensor that has to be placed in front of the TV. Can you be more specific about the brand of TV and model Roku you are using?

Dan

0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

It is an older LG tv with a Roku Express 4k that I purchased less than 2 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, great. Assuming it's the Express 4K and not the 4k+, then it came with an IR remote, and the comments before are still applicable. There is no remote IR receiver for your Roku, so the Express 4K must be visible to your remote. If you have an IR extender, I'm guessing it's for the TV, and that won't do anything for the Roku. If your Roku is not sitting in plain sight from your viewing location, you have to move it so it is visible. 

Dan

0 Kudos
PattyS
Channel Surfer

It is absolutely visible, and as stated prior, I have to put the Roku remote right up to the tv to chose a show, etc.  The LG remote does not have buttons to chose Hulu, etc.   Is that the problem???

0 Kudos