Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Homeworkn2
Reel Rookie

Remote is sending a signal but TCL TV is not getting it. It does get the downloaded remote.

I gave up after checking my Remote via my camera and it is sending a signal. My TCL Roku TV if not getting the signal. I assumed it was the TV so I downloaded a remote app and it works but with advertisements. I originally was going to replace my remote but the test showed it is working. The light is flashing when I look through my camera I CAN see it as instructed. Not sure how the TV gets my downloaded signal from my phone and not the remote. So is my TV ok? Should I get a new remote? Should I keep the downloaded with advertisments?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote is sending a signal but TCL TV is not getting it. It does get the downloaded remote.

The remote that came with your TCL Roku TV works by direct line of sight infrared.   Be sure you don't have anything blocking the infrared sensor on the tv.  This is usually somewhere in bezel below the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Remote is sending a signal but TCL TV is not getting it. It does get the downloaded remote.

Since you can see the TV remote on your camera, we know that it is an IR remote. (ie: it uses infrared light like most TV remotes.) However, few phones have IR emitters and the Roku app talks to the TV via Wi-Fi (radio - not light - a totally different device on the TV).  So, things that might be wrong include: something is blocking the IR sensor on the TV (do you know where it is? - typically along the bottom bezel somewhere) or it has failed.  Of course, there's also the possibility of a bug in the TV which might be cured by a reboot.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Oh, another thing that sometimes messes people up with IR remotes, is that they lose a different remote between the cushions of their sofa, and every time they sit down, the sofa pushes the keys on that remote continuously, and that remote throws so much IR out there, that the remote in their hand can’t get a clear signal through.  Sounds silly but I have seen several "my remote doesn't work" threads end that way. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos