Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RSteel
Binge Watcher

Remote control with Roku Ultra

I've noticed lately that my rechargeable remote control that came with the Roku Ultra has started to have a smell like something inside is burning. Has that burnt electronic smell. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote control with Roku Ultra

Do you tend to leave the remote plugged into your charger for long periods of time? Lesson learned with cell phones over the years: leaving rechargeable devices connected to the charger when fully charged can result in overheating and reduced battery life.

I suspect overcooked batteries is the cause of many of the "My Voice Remote Pro will not take a charge" complaints we see here.

I use the earphone jack on my Voice Remote Pro quite a bit, and that does accelerate the battery drain, so I probably have to charge the remote more often than many users.  Connected to a 2 amp charger, mine charges pretty quickly.  I try to remember to disconnect from the charger when it has reached, or nearly reached, full charge.  You can check the charge level via Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About, or what I normally do, just unplug it from the charger and see what charge level pops up in the upper right corner of the screen. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RSteel
Binge Watcher

Thanks for your answer. I've done that at least once while I went to run an errand. Left it charging while I was away. I'm fully aware of what happens to rechargeable electronics when left plugged in after reaching the 100% level from past experiences as well. I suspect this probably is the reason for the burnt smell. However one other thing I would like to mention sometimes when picking up the remote something feels loose inside and the strange thing is it doesn't happen every time. Just on occasions. However I thank you for your insight and reply. I guess I should order a backup. I actually like the convenience of this new remote control. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

That "something loose" doesn't sound good. How long have you had it?  Roku's US warranty is one year, don't know about other regions.  See this page for warranty and return information:  https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

I'm certainly no battery expert, but I don't think leaving it connected while you were away one time would be enough to cause much damage unless it was for an extended period of time. I've accidentally left mine connected overnight a couple of times with no noticeable deterioration. Aside from those who get a defective remote right out of the box, I think it's probably people who habitually leave it plugged in to "keep it topped off" that have problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos