Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emery25
Channel Surfer

Remote control drain batteries

I have a Roku streaming + stick 

Model 3810R

I have been having to change batteries often with the remote.

Is there a recall on the remote or a fix? 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Remote control drain batteries

The 3810 is out of warranty. It was released like 4 years ago. Recalls are for safety issues. Your best bet is probably to purchase a new Roku Stick rather then a remote 

Michelle3
Roku Guru

If the batteries on the remote are Duracells, throw them in the trash.  Duracell is an awful brand for batteries; any batteries they made after the 2000s will leak very fast, even while remaining in their original packaging.  You’re better off with Rayovac or Energizer batteries; they’re far better than the Duracell ones.

If all else fails, you will probably need to replace your Roku with a brand new one, as was suggested by @Vakko.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@emery25 wrote:

I have a Roku streaming + stick 

Model 3810R

I have been having to change batteries often with the remote.

Is there a recall on the remote or a fix? 

The behavior you are describing has been mentioned by many users over the years. However, the percentage of users experiencing the issues is actually quite small. After all, if 10,000 people had the issue, that's a lot. But as there are many times over 10,000,000 Roku users, that's many times less than 1/10th of 1%, a very small percentage.

That doesn't mean it's not an issue. The large number (despite small percentage) indicates something is going wrong for a large number of people.

The remotes with the headphones jacks were the first to commonly receive the complaints. However, the ones without the jacks have received an increase in complaints.

There are several possible causes for such behavior, with one being an issue with the device itself (remote, generally, not the Roku), but many being environmental. That's not to say Roku is blameless, but as the vast majority of users do not experience this, that means they came darn close to getting it right.

The bad news is that you really won't know if it's the remote itself without replacing the remote. Your model 3810 may be out of warranty, depending on when you bought it. One year warranty, and the item was discontinued in September 2021. However, some stores may have had stock on hand, and continued to sell them after that date. First activation would determine when the warranty expires.

A new remote ($20) might resolve it. However, if it's the Streaming Stick+ (possible, though not as likely) then the issue will not go away with a new remote. If it's environmental, to include network, same thing. Only if it's the actual remote would replacing the remote fix it.

Likewise, a new device with its remote would only resolve if it is the remote or the Stick. If it's environmental (to include network) then the issue will remain.

I don't really have any suggestions, just information to keep in mind as you continue your research and get advice from others. I cannot tell you what fixed it for me, as I've never had the issue. There's never been anything I've needed fixing that way. And I've been using WiFi Direct remotes from Roku for years.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@emery25 

The Community is full of postings regarding battery drain.  Whether or not this is a remote issue has really never been determined satisfactorily, nor has any one fix been proposed/recognized.  It certainly could be a failing remote.  Many problems have been attributed to the headphone jack feature in some (failing to disconnect contact internally).

Since most of the Roku Remotes are RF (wifi) remotes, as are the Streaming Stick remotes since they lack IR function, I have often wondered if the battery is merely draining in some remotes because it is looking for the either the wifi-direct (the hidden network that the remote connects to), or if the remote is just failing to enter a sleep/idle mode when not in use.

We can no longer share the method to check whether the Roku remote has entered sleep mode due to community rules (perhaps a web search can provide you this info), but I would see if switching the wireless channel assigned to your 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band (whichever band you are using) may help.  Additionally, maybe try using the alternate network band and see if that helps.  Basically, trying to see if using a less congested channel or mitigating interference helps issue.

Ultimately, though, most users just purchase a new remote rather than much troubleshooting and the majority seem to find that resolves their issue, so who knows.  It could be as simple as just cheap remote materials perhaps.  Unfortunately, I haven't encountered these issues with my remotes so can't definitely provide an answer - just suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Deet
Binge Watcher

This may be too simple, but have you checked your set up.  The stick should always be powered up with separate wall power supply.....  meaning you need that external power supply plugged into an outlet 24/7 and do not rely on TV USB for power as the USB usually goes dead when tv is shut off.  Remote then goes into search mode looking for the stick.   Batteries may last a total of 5-10days max. 

If you do have the separate power supply running and plugged into your stick 24/7, then is the power supply actually still working/good?  Try testing that out as well.

Good luck.