Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VAKS
Reel Rookie

Remote buttons initiating wrong function, button mapping issue?

My remote is suddenly no longer working. The buttons are pressing completely incorrect functions- like Hulu when you press an arrow key, power when you press volume down. I tried re-pairing my remote to my Roku stick, resetting my remote, unplugging the stick, changing the batteries to the remote (twice). It all did nothing.I bought it in dec 2020, it’s summer 2022 as I’m typing so it’s not yet two years old. 

is this just a short lived device and it’s kicking the bucket? Or is there some other things to try to reset the remote buttons? I can’t find anything else I haven’t tried online, maybe someone here has a suggestion?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Remote buttons initiating wrong function, button mapping issue?

I’m guessing you have a defective remote.  Roku devices are not short-lived by the way.  If you own a purple 3400 or 3420 model, do keep in mind that both models are no longer supported as of summer 2020.  I’d recommend upgrading to a Roku Stick 4K+ model.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
VAKS
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote buttons initiating wrong function, button mapping issue?

I own a 3810 I believe, according to the purchase listing info. I went ahead and bought a new remote- annoying cause it was $20, but at least I’ll be able to use it. 

0 Kudos