Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusanJG
Reel Rookie

Recent purchase of a Roku Express

Jump to solution
I have a TCL Roku TV and love it.  Recently I bought a Roku Express for another TV for a cottage.  I bought a "Simple" remote because I didn't want a remote with voice commands.  Unfortunately the remote also doesn't have a TV Power Button either, which I sorely miss.  Is it possible to get a replacement remote with a TV power button?  Are the units and the remotes paired specifically preventing or allowing replacement or exchange of the remote?

Thank you for your help in this matter.
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recent purchase of a Roku Express

Jump to solution

Roku still sells the Express with simple remote, meaning IR remote with no tv controls. 

There was only one model of Roku IR remote that had tv controls, it was released with Walmart Onn Roku Smart Soundbar*. All other Roku IR remotes that have tv controls are Roku tv IR remotes and are useless on Roku stand-alone devices like the express. 

So currently only Roku remotes with tv controls are wifi voice remotes. Sorry. 

* The Onn Soundbar remote only had Roku commands mapped to the Power, Volume, and mute keys. These Roku commands were roku cec commands, a roku devioce would see these commands and put out a signal over the hdmi cable to control a tv with cec feature. All tv's no matter what brand all respond to the same cec signals, so there is no need to program in the tv brand. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

danitaz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

In addition to all of the other replies, you can get a third-party remote.  There are a number available that are Roku Express compatible, and can be programmed to control a TV as well, including regular channel changing, volume, etc.  Ours is probably overkill for your needs (the Inteset 422-3), but there are other IR remotes that will work for you, and many that come preprogrammed with Roku buttons.

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can buy the Roku Voice Remote Pro. It’s rechargeable and you can turn off the voice with the side button. Which remote did you buy? You really can’t use any 3rd party universal remotes with Roku. Most Roku devices have a WiFi remote. Most Roku TV’s use an IR remote. What’s wrong the voice commands? Are you speaking about the microphone button on the remote?

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku still sells the Express with simple remote, meaning IR remote with no tv controls. 

There was only one model of Roku IR remote that had tv controls, it was released with Walmart Onn Roku Smart Soundbar*. All other Roku IR remotes that have tv controls are Roku tv IR remotes and are useless on Roku stand-alone devices like the express. 

So currently only Roku remotes with tv controls are wifi voice remotes. Sorry. 

* The Onn Soundbar remote only had Roku commands mapped to the Power, Volume, and mute keys. These Roku commands were roku cec commands, a roku devioce would see these commands and put out a signal over the hdmi cable to control a tv with cec feature. All tv's no matter what brand all respond to the same cec signals, so there is no need to program in the tv brand. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did not know that. But I just looked it up and the picture shows no power button. Self Explanatory

danitaz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

In addition to all of the other replies, you can get a third-party remote.  There are a number available that are Roku Express compatible, and can be programmed to control a TV as well, including regular channel changing, volume, etc.  Ours is probably overkill for your needs (the Inteset 422-3), but there are other IR remotes that will work for you, and many that come preprogrammed with Roku buttons.

Roku Express, Roki Streaming Stick, Roku TV.
I'm not a Roku employee. Just a TV streaming geek since 2008!

If this post solves your problem you can help others find the solution too! Just click "Accept as Solution."
SusanJG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Since this is a Samsung TV in a cottage with guests staying temporarily, I am looking to minimize frequent charging or battery changes.  Its possible, that I should have bought the voice command remote and just turned off voice command, but I pictured an older guest screaming in frustration to a remote with voice commands turned off or alternately being horrified by a TV that was like a 1984 wall mount. 

The current guest seems perfectly content with using two remotes, so I may do nothing at all.  I am pleasantly surprised by the number of options to consider.  This experience has increased my Roku TV brand loyalty.   I am truly grateful to everyone who took the time to take one less annoying kink out of my life! 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have 3 TCL Roku TV's. That would be your best bet considering your situation. 

0 Kudos
SusanJG
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's exactly what I have in my house!

The cast off TV went to the cottage... which was how I got into this predicament!

...I totally agree with you;

TCL Roku TV is the answer to everything TV in my opinion!

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A great remote option for this situation is oneforall7935.  Can do roku simple IR codes for non-stick models out of the box, and can be set up for most TVs (has learning mode for unknown ones, although learning is fiddly). Quality feel.  Get a couple while you can.

Available in UK as well as US (your use of word cottage makes me suspect you might be in UK).

Top tip:  Put high quality precharged NiMH batteries in remotes..much less likely to leak (see lecture on topic on YouTube from bigclivedotcom), last a good while, and can be recharged (although they don't have to be..not that expensive to just replace or repurposed the recharged ones).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos