Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arob2012
Reel Rookie

Recent move with no remote can’t get access to tv

Jump to solution

We recently moved and we used the app on our phones to control the our roku tvs. When we got to our new house we got new internet so the tv isn’t connected to the wifi. How do I gain access to the tv to connect it to the wifi?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recent move with no remote can’t get access to tv

Jump to solution

@Arob2012 

Roku devices/RokuTVs remember the last successful connection.

You can change your new/current SSID (network name and password) to those from your last network connection at the router and you should be able to connect again.  You can also use an ethernet cable connection (if your RokuTVs have ethernet capaility) and connect again as well.

Otherwise, you can get a replacement Roku remote or a universal streaming remote compatible with Roku or RokuTV from Walmart, Best Buy, etc and setup your connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Arob2012 

Roku devices/RokuTVs remember the last successful connection.

You can change your new/current SSID (network name and password) to those from your last network connection at the router and you should be able to connect again.  You can also use an ethernet cable connection (if your RokuTVs have ethernet capaility) and connect again as well.

Otherwise, you can get a replacement Roku remote or a universal streaming remote compatible with Roku or RokuTV from Walmart, Best Buy, etc and setup your connection.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Arob2012 

If you can use the method @AvsGunnar suggested, do that. If not, you need a remote. A physical remote.

There are a few ways to get a remote. First, you could contact the manufacturer and order one. That'll take some time.

Next, you could try a universal remote that supports the brand of TV. Note that "Roku" codes do not work on Roku TVs. Well, if it says "Roku TV" then it will work, but if it says just "Roku" it won't. Roku codes only work on Roku set top boxes. You need one with codes for your brand of TV. You may find one at a local store.

The, you could get a Roku Voice Remote. Those are $20 and work with all Roku devices, including Roku TVs. Walmart, Best Buy, and other retailers carry those. The $30 version also works, but the $20 one is cheaper of course.

The app you've been using won't work until the Roku device (including Roku TV) is connected to your network. It only communicates over the network, and until the Roku is connected, the mobile device can't communicate. So you have to have a physical remote.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Arob2012
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thank you i used an ethernet cord.

0 Kudos
Arob2012
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Arob2012 wrote:

thank you i used an ethernet cord.

Well, that's just cheating. 😄

Seriously, that's always a good, fast way to go. Of course, wired isn't always an option for some people, so the previous comments about getting a remote still hold. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos