Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote unable to hear me

@lonewriter, the switch turns off the hands-free voice feature.  Pressing the microphone button and speaking should still work with the switch turned off.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LFnOCD
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem. RC411 remote. The voice command just stopped working. All I get is unable to hear you, try again. I've done all the things suggested on this form. Batteries are at 100% . Just started to happen. Could it be a software update issue?

Once one gets used to using voice search it is a pain to go back to manual typing but that is what I have to do. I hope this is a fix soon.

thanks you LFnOCD

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @LFnOCD,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for reaching out for help today!

We're glad that you brought it to our attention so we could have the opportunity to assist you. As a start, let's try to follow the steps below to resolve the issue you're having.

Put your streaming device in pairing mode:

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds
  3. Re-connect the power cable
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on, and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode

Put your voice remote in pairing mode:

1. Press and hold the pairing button on your voice remote for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, and then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote will restart.
  2. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

After performing these steps, kindly check to see if you notice any difference. Please let us know so we can continue assisting you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RaeN
Reel Rookie

I’ve done all the steps multiple times and I still getting the “unable to hear” error.

i have the Philips Roku TV, not the separate device.  I bought a new enhanced remote to use with it. Everything else paired and works fine.  

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @RaeN,

A gracious welcome from the Roku Community!

We’re sorry you are having trouble with voice commands not working as intended.

When Roku Voice doesn't correctly understand your voice commands, here are a few suggestions to improve your experience:

• Try speaking louder and closer to the remote. – Sometimes, Roku Voice will mishear your words when speaking softly or far away from the remote, especially with background noise.
  • Try rephrasing your command with different words. - Sometimes, Roku Voice will understand your command better if you use different words.

You can find a list of our supported voice commands here: What voice commands can I use with my Roku streaming device?
All the best,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RaeN
Reel Rookie

No….  It comes up with the red circled error that says unable to hear.  It has nothing to do with wrong results or mixing things up, it’s not working at all, just like the other posts in this thread.  As I said, I’ve followed the resetting and linking instructions multiple times.  It had been working on another tv with the Roku box, I wanted to use it on this TV instead, now it won’t work on either one.  

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RaeN,

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out.

We'd love to see options available to help you get up and running. Could you tell us if this is the remote that came along with the device? If so, could you share with us the device serial number where it's paired?

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
K8gris

Like 10 bazillion people on this thread, my Roku remote voice commands no longer work. I’ve tried all the reset steps multiple times, I’ve re-paired remote to TV, I’ve changed the batteries. Nothing. It says Listening, then thinking, then the red circle and Unable to hear you, try again. It used to work just fine. I miss it and want it back. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @K8gris,

Thanks for getting in touch and for keeping the Roku community updated.

As mentioned right above your post, could you tell if this is the remote that came along with the device? Have you also tried using this remote on a different Roku device and trying again to see if you're still seeing the same issue occur?

With more information, we'll be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos