Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uavflyer2k
Reel Rookie

Intermittent loss of volume control

Trouble shooting Update:

I obtained a IR reader to see if maybe it was sending the wrong code during the times it was not responding -- No IR output when this is happening.

I also noted that when it is happening, a headset plugged in to the remote has the same problem - no volume control or mute function. so this pretty much points to an internal problem with vol, Mute, and TV power, as thest functions for the headset have nothing to do with the TV brand/IR code set in use and will only apply to the ROKU hardware.

I haven't done programming professionally in awhile but I bet this could be solved pretty quickly. Somehow, just those functions are being treated differently than the normal ROKU functions and getting hosed.

Ted

9 REPLIES 9
Orrin
Binge Watcher

Re: Intermittent loss of volume control

I have the same problem with an RC538 that is two years old using a Roku Premier (3920X).

What I discovered is that everything works fine when the charging cord is connected to

the remote. When the cord is removed the TV volume control works for a few seconds, then stops.

I suspect that the 2 year old battery no longer stays at the proper voltage to operate the TV functions.

The other keys still work.

Orrin

0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

This is STILL a problem despite Roku community threads closed to cover up the CONTINUING issue.

RC701 remotes running rtn.4190 STILL has intermittent volume issues because the IR LED are NOT FIRING.

same thing here.  Two  Roku Sticks - Two volume controls that don't. Nothing but problems.

0 Kudos

Happened again just now.  So angry I threw them away and will never buy another.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ihateusernames9 

Thanks for posting!

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues regarding with your Roku remote not working. We'll do our best to help you. Also, we'd like to know more about how we can help you. What Roku remote are you using right now?

We would recommend visiting our Support page for more info about the troubleshooting steps for the Roku remote. How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working

If the issue persists, keep us posted. We'll be here for you, and we'd love to assist you further. Looking forward to your response!

Sending you the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emdmem
Reel Rookie

I'm with you. I have three Roku remotes (one voice control) and the VOLUME NEVER WORKS CONSISTENTLY WITH ANY OF THEM. IT'S BEEN SINCE APRIL '23 AND IT IS NOW JULY '23. WHY THIS GLITCH CAN'T BE FIXED. I will not buy another Roku remote or Smart TV with Roku. Done.

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @emdmem,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We are sorry to hear about your remote issue. We are happy to help.

• What device are you using right now?
  • Have you set up your Roku voice remote with a TV control?

Your Roku voice remote can send commands to your TV in two ways.

• Infrared (or IR): As mentioned earlier, IR technology requires you to point your remote directly at your TV for each button press. Any obstruction (even a partial one) can cause button presses to be missed.
  • HDMI-CEC: Also known as just CEC, this technology uses the HDMI connection to pass along power and volume commands your Roku player receives from your remote. With CEC, you can point your remote in any direction since it communicates with your Roku player over a wireless connection.

If you find that the power and volume buttons only work sometimes, your remote is likely using IR to send these commands to your TV. To confirm this, ensure you can adjust the volume when pointing your remote directly at your TV. Next, cup your hand over the front of your remote, then point it away from your TV and try again. If this test cannot adjust the volume, your remote uses IR.

You can use the steps below to get your remote to use CEC.

1. Check that CEC is enabled on your TV.

2. Go to the Settings menu on your Roku player and redo the TV control setup for your remote.

Let's see how it goes.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emdmem
Reel Rookie

I have three Roku remotes in our bedroom for the one Phillips TV. One is Roku Voice Remote Pro and the other two are simple Roku remotes (the one that came with the tv bought in 2021 and another I bought online). They have all three worked FINE until we returned from a six week trip out of the country. Back first week of June 2023 and they were acting up since then. It is now July 17 so for SIX WEEKS I have done the unplug the tv method to get volume back and I have done the press home button five times, arrow up once, rewind twice, fast forward twice and the tv menu scrambles THEN volume is accessible once again. THIS GETS OLD. There is nothing blocking a signal from any of the remotes. Some other glitch internally. I have updated the system a few times, it is never that. I have replaced batteries in the two that use them, and they didn't even need changing. I will be looking for another smart tv soon as this is unacceptable. The Roku Voice Remote Pro is only a year old. I'm always excited when I grab one of the remotes and volume is working but it's a **bleep** shoot and at least once a day VOLUME IS NOT WORKING. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @emdmem,

Thanks for keeping us posted to the Roku Community!

We understand you are having problems with the volume of your Roku remote voice pro. We're here to help. Please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & devices.
  3. Select Remotes, followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control.

After doing so, please restart the system by pressing the home button on your remote, then go to settings, system, power, and system restart.

Let us know if this works for you!

Warm regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos