Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJDaniel
Reel Rookie

Philips Roku TV - cannot control volume through remote

Hello, I just purchased a new Philips Roku TV this morning which came with its own Roku remote. I could control everything with the remote but when I play something, the volume comes out blaring loud and when I use the volume control on the remote, I see it decreasing on-screen but the actual volume doesn't go down at all! I took it all the way down to zero and it was still real loud!

I looked through settings and I dont even see an option to 'use remote to control tv'. I even tried pairing my Roku enhanced remote (from my Roku Ultra) to the TV. IT controls everything but the volume. Again, I see the volume changing on-screen but the actual sound coming from the TV doesn't change at all!

Please help!

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Philips Roku TV - cannot control volume through remote

If the Philips Roku tv remote has crescent moon key for Sleep timer it is definitely an IR remote, so it should just work with Roku tv, no pairing needed. Also if the Roku tv remote has its discrete channel buttons one and top of the other it is an IR remote. I would try unplugging the tv power for a bit, plug it back in and see if it changes anything?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
abbey1

I am having this exact same issue. The tv is brand new (2 days) and when i turn it on after having turned it off it comes out blaring loud and I have no way to turn it down. What do we do to fix this?

0 Kudos
PJDaniel
Reel Rookie

So I actually tried something and it fixed the problem. 

I turned off the TV, unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in after 30 seconds. Then I took the remote from my Roku Ultra, put new batteries in it and held the sync button down for 5 seconds. Then the TV recognized it and everything worked fine after that. 

I didn’t really like the remote that came with the TV (because it was a simple remote) and liked my Roku Ultra remote better because it had voice control. I knew that sometimes you can cross-sync Roku remotes and thought it would be worth a shot. And it was!

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
abbey1

I reset the tv this morning, and tried the unplug trick this afternoon. I hope that fixes the problem, I'd hate to have to go buy a new remote just to be able to use the brand new tv I just bought. I can't imagine it is above expectations to have a working remote come with the tv. Grrr. But thank you for the info. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@abbey1 

This is a real Roku TV, with screen and built-in Roku streamer? Not an outboard Roku device attached to non-Roku tv brand? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
abbey1

It is a Phillips Brand Roku tv. It all came on the TV. 

0 Kudos
Derekr32

I don’t think it’s a coincidence we are of lately having the same problem. Bought it from Walmart on sale. Something seems sketch.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

There's been a lot of threads from recent purchases of Roku express models with bad IR Roku remotes. The Philips IR Roku tv remotes were probably made in the same Chinese factory? Where the owners of the express should have their remotes replaced by Roku. But in the case of Roku tv remotes you have to take it up with Tv Manufacturer, Roku only supplies the UI, not the remotes. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
adeladiaz

I just had this exact problem too with my new Philips Roku TV. I was trying so many different things and nothing was working. But then I clicked on the asterisk button on the Roku remote (while the tv was on the cable box input) and on the left side of the screen popped up “TV settings”. I then went down to “Sound settings” and scrolled down to “Reset ‘Normal’ sound settings”, clicked that and then it was fixed! Hope this works for anyone else that experiences this problem 🙂

0 Kudos