Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjk55442
Reel Rookie

OS 11.5 broke LG TV control

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra was upgraded to OS 11.5, build 4235 today (11/20) at 15.37. All of the sudden my Advanced Voice Remote and Voice Remote stopped controlling my LG TV. The timing of the update and me noticing the remotes not controlling the TV are suspiciously close to make me believe the problem is with the update.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: OS 11.5 broke LG TV control

Jump to solution

@mjk55442 Using your TV remote check to see that CEC is enabled on your TV.  I don't know why this is necessary but I had the same problem and turning on CEC on the TV solved the issue.  If CEC is on already, I would try lying when it asks if the music is still playing say NO even if the music is still playing.  Others have reported this worked. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
mjk55442
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I should have also mentioned I did a factory reset and tried setting up the remotes to control the TV. No luck.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mjk55442 Using your TV remote check to see that CEC is enabled on your TV.  I don't know why this is necessary but I had the same problem and turning on CEC on the TV solved the issue.  If CEC is on already, I would try lying when it asks if the music is still playing say NO even if the music is still playing.  Others have reported this worked. 

0 Kudos
mjk55442
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know what CEC is. But just as magically as the remotes quit, I just tried them again and they work. I don’t understand what happened.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mjk55442 CEC stands for Consumer Electronic Control.  It allows TVs to communicate off/on etc to other devices.  For example turning on  Blu-ray player will turn on the TV and change to the HDMI input used by the player.  LG calls their version Simplink and most LG TVs have a button on the TV remote to turn on/off.  That button may have been pushed on the TV remote by accident.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@mjk55442 Possible the update did cause the problem and remotes worked without Simplink before.

0 Kudos