Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

To anyone having this problem, try connecting your Roku to an alternate network like your cell phone's hotspot.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bper
Reel Rookie

Re: Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as everyone else here and I have only one wifi, which works fine. I have no hotspot for my phone or even a data plan to test further with. Is there any hope of Roku every addressing this problem? It used to work fine, then one day it just quite controlling tv sound, tv power still works fine.

I even went as far as to order a new Roku 4k stick this Christmas and had the same problem (couldn't get tv database to show any tv's). Everything worked fine, but couldn't control tv sound. So I returned it to Amazon. You would think if it can stream a movie, it could access a tv database - bper Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@bper

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that we believe we have identified the issue and will be fixed in a future update. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HullFlyer

Re: Remote model RC-EL1 - will not accept any TV manufacturer

Jump to solution

remote was working fine until 1/18 in PM.  since then, it will not recognize Vizio.  nothing changed, it just stopped working.

0 Kudos
etroyer

Re: [OS 10.5] Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

Somewhere else on the board someone mentioned they were able to pair their remote when they connected to a different wifi signal. I connected my mobile hotspot from my phone and the roku recognized TV brand right away. Until I changed wifi source, it wouldn't recognize any TV brand

Jww2
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] Why am i unable to find LG when searching for my TV brand during remote setup?

Jump to solution

This may be the solution! As the previous poster said!

I had previously been unable to connect my Roku remote to 2 televisions in my home. In both cases when trying to connect the remote to operate the TV, I would get a screen that said I needed to put in the TV make. In both cases, entering anything into the search box (the name of the tv, just the letter “a”) produced a response that said no TV could be found.

Changing the WI-FI network to my phone’s hotspot allowed me to connect both remotes. And the connection remained even when I returned the WI-FI settings to our regular network.

One TV was an old (2011?) LG that I had a new ROKU stick attached to. I switched to the WI-FI on my phone’s hotspot and then went to set up the remote to control the tv. The software instantly gave me the screen where music was playing. When I said yes, I got the second screen where the music had stopped. When I said yes, the remote was set up to control the TV. Even when I switched back to our regular WI-FI network.

One remote was for the Roku ultra and the TV was a Samsung TV, not as old and actually connected to an audio receiver. I thought this would create problems. But not, in this case, switching to my hotspot WI-FI network and going to the screen to set up the remote to control the TV produced a slightly different screen asking me to type in the name of the TV. When I started to type Samsung, a bunch of options came up. When I picked Samsung, I got the music, then the no music, then the remote was set to control the TV.! Whoopee! Even, again, when I switched back to our regular WI-FI network.

So is the issue one of the actual networks? Our regular WI-FI internet is provided by Verizon DSL. (At another house, where we also have 2 new ROKUS, both of which worked perfectly from the start, the network was VERIZON FIOS.

MANY thanks to ETROYER for posting this solution. Which ROKU would explain what is going on!

Breebeebe

Re: Remote Doesn’t work TV for Volume process is flawed

Jump to solution

Doesn't recognize my Panasonic or any other brand of TV. Hope there is a fix for this...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote Doesn’t work TV for Volume process is flawed

Jump to solution

@Breebeebe, if no TV brands are showing up try connecting to your phone's hotspot and then go through the TV remote setup again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jerm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update:  I tried the suggestion to use my phone's hotspot and it instantly identified my 13 year old panny plasma and set up the remote control.

Molerj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Worked for me, too.  I shut down my router, used my phone as a hotspot. Went through the steps of setting up a remote and it recognized my Samsung tv. Volume and power buttons work now. 

0 Kudos