Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beck38
Roku Guru

New Voice Remote Pro problems pairing

Same problem that others have had, roku is on wifi and the wifi has had to be changed (5ghz to 2.4ghz then back again to 5ghz due to wifi equipment failure) and the new remote got very flacky, requiring the buttons to be pressed several times before the unit would respond, and only then when the charger was plugged in continuously.  Only got partial control by using Reelgood roku app, and tried repairing the remote several times after rebooting the unit and trying to re-pair the remote.  Led flashes continuously and never pairs, tried multiple times including pwr cycling the roku and repairing a spare battery remote, then impairing that and retrying the pro unit.  Will try this pro remote on another roku I have, but i think something in it is hosed up, the design should have included a power switch to reboot the remote and give it a kick to restart, but I'm out of ideas on how to get it running.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Beck38
Roku Guru

Re: New Voice Remote Pro problems pairing

I kept working on the remote, eventually getting it to charge up, recharging it and got it to pair with another roku (same model) and will use it for a few days making sure it continues to operate with that set.  That unit is wired however, but it can be switched to wifi, I may try that later today, take it slow, it appears to work fine now.  I'll try switching back to the standard remote and then trying to re-pair with the new voice rechargeable unit.  Keep fingers crossed.  If that works and keeps working for a couple days I'll try it with the unit it failed on.  So if things work out I'll be at that point in a couple days.

0 Kudos
Beck38
Roku Guru

Tried several times going back and forth between this new voice remote and three other original remotes (one a newer model with the ok button in the middle of the xyz buttons) and the new voice remote took 2 seconds to pair with the same model of roku as the one that wont pair.  Once again tried power cycling the unit (both sets are roku4/4400x, bought about one month apart right after that model first came out) and going so far as deleting/forgetting the remote that is working (still had control from the reelgood app on my phone) and the trying to pair the new voice remote.  

But it wont.  Works every time on my other set, but not on the one it needs to work.  Obviously something in that set is stopping that particular model of remote from working, they are both on the same f/w (11.0.0), on that particular set.  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Beck38, is there a reason you can't just swap the Roku devices?  If you do swap the Roku 4s, does the problem follow the "bad" device?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Beck38
Roku Guru

I thought I made that clear; it follows a particular roku, the remote works with an identical unit.  Typical of programmers, I found a sequence buried down in the site that is purported to work and I'll  try later today, if it doesn't work I'll return the remote and get my money back.

This all started because the original replaceable battery model lasted at best a month with premium batteries when used with youtubetv.  Other identical models used primarily with Netflix, hbomax etc lasted 3+ months (I have 3 roku4s bought when they first came out).  But even the rechargable one lasted maybe two weeks when it was working.  

Anyway this sequence is purported to work, why they simply didnt add a power cycle button to the device I dont know, they have a voice command off switch.  Again, typical programmers.  Dont do something straightforward simple when some bizzare hoop jumping maybe will work, bury the sequence way down in the documentation hiding it from both the project managers and the users. We shall see.

0 Kudos
Beck38
Roku Guru

Okay I tried the get back alive sequence I found buried down in the guides, tried it several times and when it gets to the step where its supposed to pair up it simply flashes for several minutes and never actually pairs up.  

Anybody else or from roku has any ideas you have a couple for days before I return the device and get my money back.  Btw, I tripped over a youtube posting about how poor these roku remotes are, and 3rd party ones that work much better, and I might go with one of them, although really until I got this newer rechargable unit, I had no real problems except they all eat batteries left and right, even though never used with any headphones.  I think whomever designed this recharge unit needs to go back to school and learn that all electronic devices that are programmable need a power switch, period.  

0 Kudos
renojim

@Beck38, I think you missed the point of my question.  Did you physically swap the location of the two Rokus to see if the problem follows the Roku device?  RF is a funny thing with a mind of its own.  I'm trying to rule out some kind of interference issue.  If you've stated that you physically swapped them, then I'm sorry, I missed it.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Beck38
Roku Guru

Boy, that's really reaching for it.  What you're thinking is that this new, super expensive RF remote is far weaker than the simpler battery operated devices, as they have zero problems pairing and have the same range as the rechargable unit (when i first got it that's the first thing I checked, at least the same feet/walls distant and maintained a link).  I might also add that two phone apps that can control the roku, reelgood and the roku app, have zero problems just like the batt remote.  Btw, these roku's aren't the only RF remotes I have, at least three other devices including a new tv have them, but they use bluetooth frequencies and tech and not wifi like roku; when I first got these roku's i was surprised they used wifi rather than bluetooth, as a couple devices I had (this is now 5 years ago) used bluetooth for their RF remotes, simply because it is far more tolerant of interference as it uses spread spectrum transmissions.  

Okay, I'll move it right on top of the identical unit that I had zero problems pairing with, tomorrow.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Beck38 wrote:

...  I might also add that two phone apps that can control the roku, reelgood and the roku app, have zero problems...

Not the same thing. The apps don't communicate directly to the Roku devices. The apps communicate though the network. You don't pair your smart phone to the Roku. You do pair the remotes to the Roku. So his question about interference and the testing suggested is valid.

And, that's also why you can't use an app to set up a Roku device that's not on the network. Not an issue in your case, but if you ever needed to connect your Roku to your network, you can't use the app to do that. You have to have a remote, because only the remotes communicate directly to the Roku devices, not the apps.

Your smart phone (with the app) is looking to your wireless access points, not to the Roku. Anything near the Roku that could interfere with the remote would not necessarily interfere with the smart phone, since it's not trying to communicate directly to the Roku.

Work with @renojim on this. He knows his stuff. He's thorough and wants to ensure the little things aren't overlooked, because they can often be the unexpected cause of issues.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Beck38
Roku Guru

The devices still dont work no matter where they are sited.  There is no 'interferrence' since all other devices from battery remotes to those smartphone apps have no trouble whatsoever communicating and controlling the roku.  

The problem is that the remote has no facility to  correctly reboot its operating system, period.  The button sequence listed (I should say hidden) in the units documentation simply doesnt work.  Battery devices are easily rebooted by removing and reinstalling the batteries, that essentially kick starts the unit, but since the rechargable remote has no power switch, there is no facility to reset the device except a button sequence that is supposed to do so that is in software; and we all know how good software works 100% of the time.  

Sorry, this device should never have been allowed to be sold, I'm sending it back for a refund and I'd suggest that folks avoid it like the plague.  Any device without a mechanical power switch to allow a software kickstart is a non starter.  Would you accept a roku box that would not allow the power to be removed, or would if you did, would no longer load its os and operate if you unplugged it?  I think not. That's the situation with this device.  

So I guess there is no solution to those who have to buy huge numbers of aa batteries to feed their roku remotes.  

0 Kudos