Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Roku Express purchase and controlling the TV power and audio with the Roku remote

I have purchased many Roku devices over the years.  I needed to replace one of them for different reasons and one of the benefits, I thought, of my buying a new Roku was I would be able to control the power and audio from my new Roku remote control, as I am able to do with other Roku devices in my house.  With the older Roku I just replaced, I needed both the TV remote as well as the Roku remote to do this.  The new remote doesn't even have any buttons for power and definitely nothing for volume control.  Did I purchase the wrong product?  (It was the only Roku available for purchase.)

There seems to be no way to contact Roku about my new purchase or issue.  I am willing to buy the right product if it still exists. 

Any comments are welcome.

BTW My TV is very new. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: New Roku Express purchase and controlling the TV power and audio with the Roku remote

The two most-basic models don’t have TV controls.  Here is a good place to check features:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

For example, if you select the most-basic Roku Express and the more mid-line Roku Express 4K+, you’ll see that one of the benefits of the 4k+ model is the addition of TV controls. Plus 4K, HDR, dual band Wi-Fi (adds 5Ghz), voice, etc.

As I type this, the 4K+ is $5 more at Amazon. While I don’t have much use for the TV controls, I would pay $5 just for the 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Express purchase and controlling the TV power and audio with the Roku remote

@turok606062 wrote:

The new remote doesn't even have any buttons for power and definitely nothing for volume control.  Did I purchase the wrong product?  (It was the only Roku available for purchase.)

A Roku remote with no power, volume, or mute buttons is an infrared "simple remote" that controls only the Roku functions.  In the current product line the following models are supplied with this simple remote:

• Roku Express (model 3930R)
  • Roku Express 4K (model 3940RW, a Wal-Mart exclusive)

If you really want those TV control functions you can purchase either the Roku Voice Remote (replaceable batteries, about $20) or the Voice Remote Pro (internal rechargeable battery, headphone jack for private listening, about $30).  The will work with any currently sold Roku device.  You can purchase from Roku (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#Remotes) or from many online and local retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos