Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tygluck
Reel Rookie

My roku remote will not pair to my roku 3

My remote was working. I reset my Roku 3 and after the reset my remote will not pair. I have tried unplugging the Roku and taking out the batteries from the remote as well as changing the batteries, nothing works.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My roku remote will not pair to my roku 3

Does the pairing light flash when you hold in the pairing button in the battery compartment for several seconds?  I've had my share of pairing remote problems and my best results are obtained by pressing and holding the pairing button until the light starts flashing and then connecting the power to Roku device.  Place the remote down right next to the Roku device and hope it pairs once the Roku restarts.

Given the age of the Roku 3 and assuming the remote you're speaking of came with it, it may just have failed. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tygluck
Reel Rookie

The green light does not go on at all.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That's a bad sign.  If you're absolutely certain you're fully depressing the pairing button and the pairing light doesn't come on then I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to get it to pair.  You can try removing one battery and then restart the Roku 3 by disconnecting the power for a few seconds and reconnecting it.  As soon as the startup animation stops insert the battery in the remote and hope it pairs on its own.  If not, I'm afraid it's time for a new remote.  Any of the current remotes will work with a Roku 3, but I definitely prefer the original remote over the current remotes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PurpleSurfer1
Binge Watcher

I too have a Roku Remote and Streaming Stick that no longer pairs. As a workaround I downloaded the Roku Official App onto my G4 - honestly I hate using the Roku App on my LGG4 because it drains the battery too quickly; thus, I must keep my G4 plugged into a electrical socket and I have to change the stream like I did in the 1970's before we had a remote control for our TV. My Roku is a 3600x model and it has been great for four-(4) years until May 2022.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

If your “no longer pairing” Roku device unit originally came with just a standard Simple Remote, then you’re obviously better off replacing it with one of these (this is what I bought a few days ago at a retail Walmart store because I wanted voice controls on my Roku Express+ 3910): https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
PurpleSurfer1
Binge Watcher

Thank for responding, but the remotes that I have found online and Blue Light Special store is nearly as much as it cost to purchase a new stick and remote packaged together.  

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Well actually, that remote in the link is only $20 (it was also only $20 at Walmart where I bought it from), while most brand new never opened Rokus are up to $25-40.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
PurpleSurfer1
Binge Watcher

I didn't open the link.  Thanks for  mentioning it.  Are you implying or whoever else in the thread mentioned that the original remote that comes packaged with a Streaming Stick is a inferior remote to purchasing separately? I am not sure what I will do

0 Kudos