Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My remote randomly stopped working.

@JeremyJ @Bria0627 @Starsf 

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JeremyJ
Reel Rookie

Worked through that and think the issue is that the original semi-generic batteries included with the remote leaked inside.  I do not think any amount of further troubleshooting will fix the issue.  What should I do so I have a working remote?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@JeremyJ 

Thanks for the update.

What Roku model device are you using? Once we have that information we can provide you the appropriate replacement remote you need to purchase.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Danreardon
Reel Rookie

Thank you Jeremy. This is very helpful. I guess I just need to get a new remote

0 Kudos
jdevine03

We bought a new Voice Remote Pro (with a rechargeable battery and a headphone jack) for our model 3810X Roku stick. It still had the problem that it lost control over which streaming service we were watching -- and stopping, reversing, or speeding up the stream.  However, the remote works to turn the TV off or to change the volume. 

We have the same Roku stick in the upstairs TV with the original remote. It works fine, but the volume control has limited functionality. After using it once, you have to wait a few minutes to use it again.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@jdevine03, the TV control part of the remote is completely separate from the Roku control part, so it's possible for TV controls to work but not the Roku controls or vice versa.  Have you tried swapping remotes to see if the problem lies in the remote or the stick?  You'll have to re-pair the remotes if you do that which can be a headache in itself.

The TV controls work via IR (infrared) so you must point the remote at the TV unlike the Roku controls where you can point the remote anywhere.  I would say try new batteries for the one on the upstairs TV, but I would think the Roku controls would stop working before the TV controls.  You can verify whether the TV controls are working by pointing the remote at a digital camera like your phone's and pressing a TV control button on the remote.  You should see a flash of light on the camera screen.  You can see the battery level under the Remotes section of the Settings.  It may or may not be accurate, but the stronger the batteries the brighter the flash of light should be on the camera screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos