Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pnelson
Reel Rookie

Re: Setting up the roku without remote control

Jump to solution

Download the Roku app remote control on your phone, then plug your tv into your internet router using an ethernet cable to access the network

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DeeDee6

Re: Lost remote and need to connect to wifi

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I have a Roku express model #3930X and I don't know what wifi network it was previously used on, probably a hotel. Anyway I have a Roku remote to another tv but it doesn't work with my Roku express and neither does the Roku app on my phone. Again I don't have the old wifi info. I tried resetting it to factory but apparently it still got the old wifi on it 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DeeDee6,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

You'll need the actual remote to connect your Roku device to your wireless network. If the details of your wireless network have changed, or your device has become disconnected from your network and you need to go back through setting up your network connection again.

Please be noted that the Roku mobile app will not work since it needs to be connected to the same network as the Roku device, which is not currently connected to your network.

If you need a new remote, we have you covered here: https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes 

I hope this helps! I'll be here if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jrknick

Jump to solution

You probably have done something else by now, but if anyone else is looking for a fix for this, set up a hotspot on your cell phone with the same name and password as the last network it was connected to. It should connect automatically to that. Then connect a second device (phone, tablet, etc.) to the hotspot as well. This will put them both on the same network. Then open the Roku app on that second device and connect to the Roku stick. You can then use that device as a remote to connect it to another network, at which point you can use any phone/tablet as a remote.

0 Kudos
RyanStream
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a solution for this. You just need to know the username and password for the Wifi that your Roku was connected to previously. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RyanStream, nothing new.  It's been posted here numerous times.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Secc0322

Jump to solution

I lost my remote and I would use the app but for some time I stopped using the tv and I changed my wifi password during that time now I can’t use the app anymore because my tv isn’t connected to the wifi. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Secc0322, can you change the password back to what it was?  If so the TV should connect and you can go back to using the app.  Changing the network password without a physical remote is problematic at best.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Changing the name and password back to original

Jump to solution

This helped so much!! Legit just making the router name and password exactly the same and it attached back to my electronic remote on my phone!! My remote got corroded by the batteries and never functioned again. I changed my wifi name and it wouldn't connect. I changed it to the old name which is on the router box and the old password and I am back and running! Thank God 

0 Kudos