Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dad_Vader

Re: LG smart remote to control Roku

Jump to solution

tldr: yes, it has the capability.  I set mine up using the "Set Top Box" option in the Magic Remote configuration screen.  You'll have to input the manufacturer.  Next, it shows the "Menu" button, Try it, and if it doesn't work, it'll give you another incantation of the same.  In my Roku Smart Soundbar, the second one worked fine.  

The other thing to be aware of is for ARC, the Roku soundbar feeds into HDMI port 2.  (It's specifically labeled as ARC on the back.)  The supplied Roku cable supported both 4K at 60/s and ARC. 

0 Kudos
Midnight_Voice
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Dad_Vader 

Perhaps you should have ‘read’.

Most Roku devices will work, except for the Streaming Stick, which uses wireless rather than IR, and a protocol that the LG magic remote cannot emulate.

LG really did not give me a satisfactory answer as to how they have the Streaming Stick in the list of Roku devices the magic remote can be configured for, as it is now pretty clear that it can’t.

But it does seem that all recent Roku devices use IR, not proprietary wireless, so Premiere, Express, and the Soundbar are controllable.

I wasn’t sure about the Soundbar, though, so pleased to see that the magic remote can indeed control it.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The roku soundbar and streambar uses the same IR commands that roku 12 years ago used, just with a few new commands for tv power, volume and mute. Which roku cec commands to control whatever tv its connected to, if the tv responds to cec signals. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
nolapawn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Reviving an old thread as I am uncertain whether it is resolved. I just set up an LG G1 and the magic remote does not control the Roku Ultra. I have tried various approaches through the universal remote menu without success. When entering the model number manually 4800x is not an option. Has anyone had any success?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Try any model of roku listed, it will control your roku as well. Roku IR commands for stand alone roku's like ultra haven't changed ever. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
nolapawn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks but that did not work. I tried all the model numbers. Is there a setting on the Roku to turn on receiving of IR (not just RF or whatever it uses)?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@nolapawn wrote:

Thanks but that did not work. I tried all the model numbers. Is there a setting on the Roku to turn on receiving of IR (not just RF or whatever it uses)?

Excluding the Sticks, all Roku set-top boxes use the same IR codes all the time. The devices don't switch back and forth, nor is there a setting for such. If you have a Roku Ultra, for instance, and the remote that came with the Ultra (RF) as well as a Roku Simple Remote (IR) you can use both at the same time. Your can press UP on the RF remote and the menu will go up. You can then press DOWN of the IR remote and the menu will go down. All Roku set top devices always accept both RF and IR commands.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
nolapawn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sounds great.  Unfortunately, it still does not work with the Magic Remote.  Has anyone gotten the two to get along? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Sorry but I don't have a LG tv, but did you follow Dad_Vader instructions above? You program it be testing a certain key, the menu key since the roku doesn't have power, if the first doesn't work, tell it, it will try another command, he wrote that the second try worked. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Spac3zine

Jump to solution

I have gotten my LG Magic Remote to work with my Roku Stream Stick+ ... but intermittently. 

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810RW and recently purchased an LG OLED 48 C1 television with a Magic Remote.  When I first setup the TV, the Magic Remote auto-detected the SS+ as Roku OTT (Candidate 1) on HDMI 2.  (I'm not sure what "Candidate 1" means.) In any case, I was able to control the SS+ with the Magic Remote.  The only thing the Magic Remote did not have was the * Options button.

Unfortunately, this lasted for about a week ... then the Magic Remote suddenly stopped communicating with the SS+.  The SS+ itself worked fine and I was able to do everything with the Roku remote.  I tried to delete the Roku device and re-add it from the TV, but without success.

On a whim, I reset my TV to initial (factory) settings.  After going through the setup, I was surprised to lean that I was able to control the Roku SS+ once again with my Magic Remote.

However, after two days, it stopped working.

I have tried everything, from enabling/disabling CEC and changing the SS+ to HDMI Ports 1, 2, or 3 on the LG TV.  It is frustrating because, as OP indicates, 3810 is listed in the TV as a supported OTT device, and it did work for me more than once!

If anyone can figure this out, I'd appreciate your insight.  A few other things about my setup: I have a PS5 on another HDMI port (which I tried swapping around).

Another interesting thing -- when I was able to control the SS+ with the Magic Remote, I could bring up a virtual control pad (w/gray background) on the TV associated with the Roku SS+.  After it stopped working, the virtual control pad was no longer available.