Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dchamp214
Reel Rookie

I lost my remote and the roku express 4K is no longer connected to my wifi

I recently went on a trip and brought my Roku Express 4K with me. On that trip I ended up connecting my roku to the wifi network there but forget the remote when we came back. Is there anyway I can reconnect my roku to the wifi automatically or which replacement remote should I purchase. I cannot use the wired connection fix as the express does not have a wired connection port. What should I do?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I lost my remote and the roku express 4K is no longer connected to my wifi

You can go the nearest walmart or best buy and get separately sold voice remote. You'll have to pair to express 4k. Or just get a cheap universal that lists roku as a brand, your express 4k accept IR commands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dchamp214
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee wrote:

You can go the nearest walmart or best buy and get separately sold voice remote. You'll have to pair to express 4k. Or just get a cheap universal that lists roku as a brand, your express 4k accept IR commands. 

Do I need wifi to pair the separately sold remote?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Yes, wifi remote has to pair to roku berfore it will control the roku. You don't need wifi working for it to pair. A cheap universal remote would only have to have roku code programmed for it control your roku. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
dchamp214
Reel Rookie

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Yes, wifi remote has to pair to roku berfore it will control the roku. You don't need wifi working for it to pair. A cheap universal remote would only have to have roku code programmed for it control your roku. 

This is unclear, my roku is not connected to wifi and I have lost the remote . If I am to purchase a separately sold remote or a universal remote, will I be able to pair it to my roku express 4K without wifi?

0 Kudos
renojim

The short answer is yes.  The longer answer is that any universal remote you get that can work with your Roku will not require any sort of pairing.  The only remotes that require pairing (and work via Wi-Fi direct) are Roku voice remotes.  However, even those Wi-Fi direct remotes don't require a working Wi-Fi connection.  If they did, you wouldn't be able to use one to get your Roku connected to Wi-Fi.  They do, however, require pairing.

As I read this I'm not sure that I've made it any clearer.  🙂

0 Kudos