Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Epicure
Channel Surfer

How to pair my Roku Sticks with their remotes - keeps blinking?

I have two Roku streaming Stick+ devices. When I plug them into my TVs here, the TV recognizes the sticks and I get the Roku screen, but neither Stick recognizes its remote.  I tried to re-pair the remotes, but neither works.  The pairing light just keeps on blinking.  Even if I remove the batteries for 15 minutes, the light starts blinking as soon as I reinstall them.   Without a working remote, I can’t connect either unit to wifi. 

For a bit more context:

• The devices were working perfectly.  But when I brought them down to Florida from Massachusetts this week and they won’t work here. I bought them specifically to leave in Florida and set them up in Massachusetts with all my channels and accounts, so I know they used to work.
  • All phones and computers work perfectly with the wifi here.  I tried everything I could find on line to no avail and I can find no way to contact Roku support directly.  

Can someone please help?

Thanks, Ed

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to pair my Roku Sticks with their remotes - keeps blinking?

Did you bring the long range wifi receivers? Its the small usb cable with a bump in it, it's what the remote and wifi communicate with. So without it you will not have remote or wifi internet. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Epicure
Channel Surfer

yes I did.  That USB cable is only the power cord for the ROKU.  It has nothing to do with WIFI or the remote.  My Roku has power.  I can see it on  the TV screen.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

WRONG!! But i'm fine leaving you in this fog. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Epicure
Channel Surfer

I strongly believe the both remotes may be damaged somehow because they won’t stop blinking.  They were in the back of the car for several days in very cold weather.  I don’t know if that could cause them to go bad.  I got new batteries and still the blinking.  Is there a way to reset them?  Does anyone know how to contact Roku Support directly so I could ask them?  Thanks, Ed 

0 Kudos
Epicure
Channel Surfer

Hello Tivoburkee,

Are you referring to the USB cord, which only goes tot he power supply, or the HDMI extension, which I did bring and use as well? 

Thanks, Ed

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

I'm referring to this: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver The power and usb cable is made of two cables the above long range wifi receiver, and usb extender. The remote and wifi communicate directly with the above short cable and not the stick itself. That's given believe me. If you have two each with its own voice remote paired, switching cable between roku sticks the remotes would be switched too.

Edmund

DBDukes

@Epicure wrote:

That USB cable is only the power cord for the ROKU.  It has nothing to do with WIFI or the remote.  My Roku has power.  I can see it on  the TV screen.  

Just to let you know, @Tivoburkee is the go-to guy for anything about remotes. He knows his stuff. Work with him. He'll guide you correctly. Just answer the questions and he'll help you resolve the issue, or at least understand what needs to happen to resolve it. There may be some here that know as much as he does about the remotes, but I don't know of anybody here who knows more. Work with him. It'll be to your benefit.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

And to add to what @Tivoburkee said, those Roku Sticks will only work with the USB cable that comes from Roku. If you use a 3rd party cable, the Roku will power up but the WiFi won't work, since the cable is the antenna. And without WiFi working your remotes will not connect either. Since the Stick models are WiFi Direct only for the remote (IR remotes don't work with them), you have to have the official Roku USB cable that came with the Stick, or the replacement cable that he linked above. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Epicure
Channel Surfer

Hello Tivoburkee,

Thanks for the info.  I went to the link you sent and learned that that cable is only compatible with the Streaming Stick +, which is what I have here.  It also states that it is out of stock.  There are no such cables on either eBay or Amazon, so I am out of luck there.  I still don’t understand a few things.  I never had those cables for these 2 sticks.  I bought them both on eBay with no accessories.  I already had 2 spare remotes and figured that I only needed generic power cables.  I did run these back home before I left for Florida and was able to pair them and set up and watch my favorite channels.  Both units worked.  I have a number of other Roku sticks up north.  I think one of them may be a + unit, so I might have used that setup and cable to test these, but I am not sure.  I know that my older Roku's do not have that kind of cable.  My question is that if that cable communicates with the remote via wifi, how does it know which wifi to connect to and how does it get a password to use it?  That wifi connection is established using the remote after it the remote is paired with the stick.  Since I have never used that stick with my wifi here, there should be no way the stick and remote can use it until I set it up.  Am I wrong here?

Thank you for your continued help,

Ed

0 Kudos