Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrkpost863
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku remote and app not changing channel

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. The remote turns the tv on and off but won’t change channels.  I changed batteries and unplugged the streaming stick and it didn’t help. Please be more explicit in your responses. When I turn it on the screen is not on the Home Screen it is on Netflix. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mrkpost863, what's the model number of your Roku device written on it somewhere?  Does the remote have a pairing button on the back or inside the battery compartment?  If so, it may have lost pairing.  Unless you have an actual Roku TV, the buttons that control the TV are completely separate from the buttons that control the Roku (it's really like two separate remotes in one).

How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you! I’ve been struggling with this problem for three hours. The key is to do everything EXACTLY as you stated. I’m usually good with exact instructions but I was trying to use the same batteries because they worked the power and mute buttons. Once I got new batteries it worked great. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

0 Kudos
Lindal518

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem my roku stick used to work perfectly and change to Netflix and now it only turns the TV on and off and the volume up-and-down I've unplugged it I've changed the batteries.. Please tell me the solution?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @Lindal518

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Try re-pairing your remote to your Roku stick then see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

To re-pair your remote:

1. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then reconnect the power cable.
  2. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  3. Restart your remote. If your remote uses standard batteries, restart your remote by removing and reinserting the batteries. If your remote is rechargeable, press and hold the pairing button for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote has restarted.
  4. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote or replace the batteries.
  5. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

Once the Roku device is connected to the remote, the pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

For more remote troubleshooting steps, feel free to visit this link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
CS5280
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix an unresponsive Roku remote (won't scroll, select channels, or turn device on/off)

Jump to solution

Check the Batteries in the remote 

0 Kudos
CS5280
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix an unresponsive Roku remote (won't scroll, select channels, or turn device on/off)

Jump to solution

Check the batteries 

0 Kudos
Srcoolfl

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue in the Home Screen.  Going to the menu in the left and going to “what to watch”, featured free, live tv , and the others I can scroll through the options.

The problem only presents itself in the Home Screen.

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Srcoolfl, what is the software version displayed under Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos