Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crig
Reel Rookie

How to contact support for a replacement remote - mine was defective out of the box

Jump to solution

Just received my Roku Express from Amazon today.  About pulled my hair out trying to figure out why it wasn't working.  I replaced cables, batteries, restarted, reset.... everything.  Finally, I dug around and found the remote from my original Roku (from maybe 10 years ago).  And it worked.  But that old remote has to be held together with duct tape... and I paid for a new one.  So, how do I get Roku to send me a new one? Pulling my hair out again... but this time trying to find a way to contact them and keep getting sent here.  Now that I have it set up and activated, I really don't want to return the whole device to Amazon.  (Note:  I did the cell phone camera test... and there is no IR light on the new remote, but I see it on the ancient remote.)

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to contact support for a replacement remote - mine was defective out of the box

Jump to solution

You really have to deal with Amazon before you deal with Roku.  What's the model number of your Roku displayed under Settings->System->About?  If it's an Express 4k+ then it comes with a Wi-Fi direct remote that requires pairing.  If there's a button in the battery compartment then it's one of those.

For the record:
Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

makaiguy

Re: How to contact support for a replacement remote - mine was defective out of the box

Jump to solution

Amazon generally does a good job with returns.  You'll find them to be faster and less painful than trying to return to Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Jump to solution

You really have to deal with Amazon before you deal with Roku.  What's the model number of your Roku displayed under Settings->System->About?  If it's an Express 4k+ then it comes with a Wi-Fi direct remote that requires pairing.  If there's a button in the battery compartment then it's one of those.

For the record:
Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Amazon generally does a good job with returns.  You'll find them to be faster and less painful than trying to return to Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

crig
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  It's the Express with the IR remote (no pairing).

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@crig wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It's the Express with the IR remote (no pairing).

Then it should just work when pointed at the Express. 

Troubleshooting an infrared (IR) remote:

• Of course, make sure you have good batteries installed.

• Be sure the front face of your Roku is viewable and facing your viewing location.

• Make sure there is nothing blocking the direct line between you and the Roku.

• Check for interference with the IR signal -- some fluorescent lights may interfere, as can direct sunlight.

• You can check if the IR signals are being sent in the first place by pointing your remote at a digital camera, even one built into a phone or tablet, and pressing some remote buttons. If the remote is sending signals you should see them flash on the camera view screen.

0 Kudos