Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DesertFlip

Re: Connecting Roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

Here's the convoluted method mentioned by @StreamerUser :

This method is complicated, but if you really need it …

You will need ALL of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password from your former network that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

I'd still suggest acquiring a compatible remote if only to make it much easier to recover if your Roku ever drops its network connection and needs to be reconnected.

OMG. I forgot my remote at home while traveling for business. I followed the steps and got it to work. Thank you!!

Carmoo92

Re: Cannot connect to Roku to Wifi without remote

Jump to solution

I was having same issue after a factory reset. So I grabbed an Ethernet cable and hardwired from the router to the TV which auto connects to your wifi. It makes the remote work so that you can connect it to wifi and then after your done you can unplug the Ethernet cord from the TV and your set to go using the Roku app on your phone

0 Kudos
Feby

Jump to solution

Easiest way. Just use the same name and password as the old wifi for your new wifi. The Roku will automatically connect to it. This method will only work if the device was is connection with the old wifi at the time you switched off the device. It worked for me twice. ( Situation: when you change the network provider, or when you move to other places) 

0 Kudos
Teresa1966

Re: How to connect TV to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

Yes I have by all the information I need that you just ask about so what do I need to do

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to connect TV to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

@Teresa1966

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cpytrla

Jump to solution

We brought our Roku on vacation but didn't bring the remote, and the steps for this with two phones and a hotspot worked perfectly!! 

iocus43

Jump to solution

Had similar issue. TV was not connected to WiFi because it was reset to factory settings, and the kids misplaced the remote.

What worked for me is to connect the TV directly to the router via Ethernet. Had to make sure the ethernet connection can communicate with the WiFi. Most routers do by default, some advance routers give the option to isolate the Wifi device  Once you plug in the ethernet, unplug the TV for a minute. Plug it back in. Once it reboots, you should be able to access it with your phone with the roku app, so long as the phone is connected to the WiFi.

Hope this works for someone else.

0 Kudos
Rrme

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

My iPhone was my remote, now it stopped working 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

Hello @Rrme

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are your phone and Roku device on or using the same network? It’s possible that your phone or your Roku are using these two different networks. If so, they won’t see each other and it won't work. Also, ensure that both your phone and your Roku are on the same Wi-Fi frequency band. For other troubleshooting steps that would guide you connect the Roku Mobile app to your device, you may check this How to connect the Roku mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi  

Hope you'll find this information useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
mindl
Reel Rookie

Re: Connecting to wifi without remote

Jump to solution

You guys do realize that not a single Roku device is shipped with a wifi connection, right? Ok. This means a connection CAN be achieved on ALL Roku products that operate with a remote. Umm... is that your entire product list? 

Allowing people to use third party apps/devices to connect to your product would be helpful, don't you think? Because y'all are acting like some sort of ignorant people the way you talk.

Clearly the capability exists to operate your product WIHOUT a wifi network.

Yet nobody will question this god-like capability embedded in your remotes.

So what do you do? You're actually teaching people a malicious tactic known as, "man in the middle." 

Very nice work. Make people spend money on something that you KNOW is going to happen. Lost/broken remotes. 

Can't wait until the media learns about you guys profiting from this while teaching millions the basics of wifi attacks.

I will NOT stop. I will NOT let this situation go away. You will be allowed to make that choice. You might want to hurry. People will read this. 

Don't test me. 

0 Kudos