Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickierin

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

I’m confused by this, what is the point of being able to use to my Roku app as an alternate remote if I need a remote to begin with to connect the device to wifi? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@nickierin, it's really pretty simple - the app can only connect to the Roku device through the network. If the Roku isn't connected to your network there is no way for the app to connect to it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Adorsey
Reel Rookie

Need Remote to turn volume up

Jump to solution

Someone gave me A insignia roku tv without remote. I purchased the universe roku remote and it won't pair.

I have no way to see if tv was ever connected to a network before. it works great but no volume.

PLEASE HELP!!!

0 Kudos
Adorsey
Reel Rookie

Re: Need Remote to turn volume up

Jump to solution

Insignia16389187672104385676879326525290.jpg

0 Kudos
Adorsey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So if a Roku tv has never been connected to a network or you don't know the network and can't switch it because you have no remote,  the tv is no good??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Adorsey

Thanks for the post.

Which replacement remote did you purchase?

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact Insignia here: https://www.insigniaproducts.com/contact-us or at 1-877-467-4289.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BAWALSH

Re: Setting up on different network without remote

Jump to solution

This is pretty silly. How can the "new remote" connect to the existing Roku device, but the android remote cannot?

Sounds like some proprietary B.S. so you buy another piece of plastic trash destined for the ocean. If this is the only way, I will not be recommending Roku to others in the future, and certainly won't buy the $6 remote out of principal. I hope Roku stock continues to plummet!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setting up on different network without remote

Jump to solution

It's simple - the Android remote requires that the Roku be connected to a network to communicate with a Roku device while a Roku remote (or universal remote) does not.  There's nothing silly about it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JBlack1090

No Remote and New wifi please help!

Jump to solution

I lost my remote to my Roku express and I have a new wifi connection and can't connect mobile app to Roku device because it has never been on this wifi before. How can I access my Roku device without a remote in order to connect it to my new wifi? Please Help!

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: No Remote and New wifi please help!

Jump to solution

If you set the SSID and passphrase of the new Wi-Fi to match the previous Wi-Fi, then it may "just work". (Assuming you haven't factory reset the Roku and lost that info.)  Otherwise, get a remote.  The Express can use an IR remote, So Roku's most basic remote as well as universal/generic remotes that claim to support Roku should work.