Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Re: How do I switch back to the remote from the roku mobile app

Jump to solution

I think I just made it worse. I did a factory reset now the app won’t work to navigate through the settings to setup or pair anything. 

0 Kudos
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I put in new batteries, unplugged for 30 minutes. Hit the reset on the back of the TV. Removed the app. Then went with the factory reset and now the app won’t work either cause there is no device since the reset. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Ok just stop with the Roku Remote app. The Roku remote app will not work until your TV is set up.  Delete it from your phone. I never said anything about doing a factory reset. I said simply unplug your TV for at least 60 seconds. You have yet to see if you tried new batteries. You an ONN Roku TV. You can contact them. How long have you had the TV? I think I’m done at this point. None of what you are saying makes any sense. So as of right now the remote thar came with your TV no longer works?

0 Kudos
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I decided to do the factory reset myself. That’s 100% on me. I bought the TV on Black Friday, so 6 months. I tried new batteries also thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your not answering me. So your saying your factory ONN remote that came with your TV no longer works. If that’s the case then contact ONN and have them send you a new. I will never understand how so many people have problems with remotes. Not just Roku. I even have the original remote for my Samsung TV from 10 years ago and it still works. Did you drop the remote in water or something? Your ONN remote is an IR remote. The Roku remote app on your phone works via WiFi 

https://onntvsupport.com/

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@LouisS1 

From what I gather, your Onn Roku TV remote doesn't work. And you did a factory reset of the Roku TV and now can't use the app.

You will not be able to use the app until you connect to the network. And you need a remote to connect to a network. That's because the app can only operate a TV if the TV is already connected to the network.

So, you need a remote. The problem is that Roku TVs come with IR remotes, and the IR codes they use are not the same as a standard Roku IR remote. So one option is to purchase an Onn brand Roku TV remote.

Or, you can purchase a Roku Voice Remote ($20) since they also work with Roku TVs. They are not IR remotes, but are WiFi Direct remotes, and can be paired with a Roku TV. Then, you can use it to connect the TV to the network. Oh, and Walmart sells Roku Voice Remotes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Do you have anything in the front of the tv to block the IR from reaching the tv like pictures, knickknacks, or soundbar? 

Have you tested the Onn remote to see if its emitting IR commands by pointing it at a cellphone camera, if you see flashes its working, no flashes it's broken?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.