Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

How do I switch back to the remote from the roku mobile app

Jump to solution

I downloaded the roku mobile app, but now my remote that came with the TV doesn’t work. I want to switch back to the remote don’t know how. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: How do I switch back to the remote from the roku mobile app

Jump to solution

The 2 remotes are entirely different. You can use both simultaneously. I have the Roku Remote app on my iPhone and the remote which came with my Roku. I can use both. Why don’t you uninstall the app from your phone. You can also re sync your Roku remote. Remove the battery tray from the back of your remote. Press the little button you see. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There is no switching between the two. If your remote has stopped working, the first thing to check is the batteries. If it's a remote that uses AAA size batteries, it's an IR remote, and it must be able to "see" the Roku, with nothing between the remote and the Roku. If the batteries are good, look at the end of the remote through a digital camera, such as a phone camera, and look for a flashing light when you press a remote button. If it's flashing, there's nothing wrong with the remote.

WiFi Direct remotes can "lose" their pairing, although it doesn't happen often. Since you can access your Roku with the app, you can use it to navigate to the Settings/Remote menu and re-pair the remote easily. Again, make sure the batteries are good (these would be AA size batteries).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@LouisS1 

I don't understand the question. Are you wanting to use the Roku app as a remote?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The 2 remotes are entirely different. You can use both simultaneously. I have the Roku Remote app on my iPhone and the remote which came with my Roku. I can use both. Why don’t you uninstall the app from your phone. You can also re sync your Roku remote. Remove the battery tray from the back of your remote. Press the little button you see. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There is no switching between the two. If your remote has stopped working, the first thing to check is the batteries. If it's a remote that uses AAA size batteries, it's an IR remote, and it must be able to "see" the Roku, with nothing between the remote and the Roku. If the batteries are good, look at the end of the remote through a digital camera, such as a phone camera, and look for a flashing light when you press a remote button. If it's flashing, there's nothing wrong with the remote.

WiFi Direct remotes can "lose" their pairing, although it doesn't happen often. Since you can access your Roku with the app, you can use it to navigate to the Settings/Remote menu and re-pair the remote easily. Again, make sure the batteries are good (these would be AA size batteries).

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don’t want to use the app anymore but the remote won’t work. 

0 Kudos
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That’s what I don’t understand the remote isn’t working. I also don’t have a reset button on the remote. 

0 Kudos
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don’t have a little button. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Downloading the Roku remote app to your phone will not cause your parents situation. Exactly which Roku model do you have? Does your remote have a power button on it? 

0 Kudos
LouisS1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the Onn 70 inch roku tv. Yes it has a power button. But no reset button. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV. Same thing. I don’t use the remote that came with my TV because I use the Roku voice remote pro. I just removed the battery cover and yes there is no button. But downloading the app onto your phone has absolutely nothing to do with your not remote working. Did you try new batteries? Did you restart your TV?. Unplug your TV for 60 seconds and plug it back in

0 Kudos