Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daisy1127
Reel Rookie

How do I play my DVD with Roku remote

I set up my Roku remote just fine but now my universal remote will not work with the TV and I cannot playback my exercise DVDs. Does anyone know how to fix this? It’s an old Toshiba TV that also plays DVDs

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I play my DVD with Roku remote

Did you set up the universal remote to control the Roku?  Setting up the Roku remote to control your TV wouldn't affect your universal remote.  Don't rule out the possibility the the batteries in the remote just happened to die when you got your Roku.  Also, just in case there's a stuck button on the Roku remote try taking the batteries out of it and give your universal remote another try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Daisy1127
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply.  I did not set up my universal to control the Roku remote.  The Roku remote now controls the tv, but the universal still will not work.  Batteries have been replaced.  Please advise.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Daisy1127 

Neither the Roku device nor its remote will have any impact, positive or negative, on your DVD player.

I'm not saying something isn't wrong, I'm saying it's not the Roku. Unplug the power from the Roku. Take the batteries out of the Roku remote. Does your DVD player start working? No? It's not the Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

After watching the Roku, have you used the TV/universal remote to switch back to normal TV viewing?  (Back from the HDMI port that the Roku is on.)  If not, I would expect you'd still see the Roku on the screen, so things like channel selection wouldn't work, but I would expect the volume controls to still work.

0 Kudos
Daisy1127
Reel Rookie

I tried to but the universal remote won't work at all.  I can't even turn the tv on/off with the universal.  Only the Roku works the tv now.  I tried unplugging the Roku hoping that the universal would work again, but it didn't.  I did not try taking the batteries out of the Roku though and unplugging everything so I will do that when I get home from work today.  I appreciate the responses you all are giving me.  It's a little frustrating that I can't get it figured out since I like to work out in the morning, but I will keep trying all your suggestions! 🙂

Strega
Roku Guru

Assuming this is a multi-device remote, I assume you have selected the TV as the current device?

0 Kudos