Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatGirl
Streaming Star

Hooking up DVD/VHS player combos to Roku

Jump to solution

Hey, I'm not sure which category in the community. Or if you guys might help with this matter, but my parents and I still use VHS, and we have those DVD/VHS combo players. But my parents have trouble with hooking up that particular player; a picture isn't on the selection menu on the Roku TV.

So we really wanna know which (or what) cable should we use? If there is anyone here who would know.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Hooking up DVD/VHS player combos to Roku

Jump to solution

Without any specifics on the TV or the player, I'll just assume both devices have HDMI connectors and recommend connecting them that way.  HDMI is very simple (single cable) compared to the old analog stuff.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Without any specifics on the TV or the player, I'll just assume both devices have HDMI connectors and recommend connecting them that way.  HDMI is very simple (single cable) compared to the old analog stuff.

0 Kudos
KatGirl
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

OK and I'm sorry but could you explain HDMI hook-up so my parents could understand

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

HDMI is extremely simple.  You take a single HDMI cable and you connect the HDMI output of the player to an HDMI input of the TV.  (It can be a bit of a culture shock from the old days when everything took 3 to 5 connections.) 

Then, on the TV, you select that input.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

A DVD/VHS player with HDMI exists?  I've never seen one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

I owned combination Toshiba VCR and DVD-Recorder that had Hdmi output. Left in California with my brother when I moved to IA. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@KatGirl  -

People are struggling to get you a definitive answer due to lack of provided information.  The correct connection instructions, if it can be done at all, depend on knowing the output formats available on the VHS/DVD, and the input formats available on your Roku TV.

If you can provide the make and model number of both the VHS/DVD and the Roku TV we can look up the required info.  (Roku TV menu path Settings > System > About will give you the Roku TV model number).

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
KatGirl
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

HDMI is extremely simple.  You take a single HDMI cable and you connect the HDMI output of the player to an HDMI input of the TV.  (It can be a bit of a culture shock from the old days when everything took 3 to 5 connections.) 

Then, on the TV, you select that input.

What if the player doesn't have the particular output?

0 Kudos
KatGirl
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

Here are some:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-ES46VS-VHS-Recorder-Silver/dp/B000FKDTSK

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-EZ48VP-K-Upconverting-Discontinued-Refurbished/dp/B07J21JLPQ/re...

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-V9800-Tunerless-Upconverting-Renewed/dp/B08QX8HM86/ref=sr_1_3?cri...

But, for sure, if the device in question is lacking, then they'll need to go a different route.

Thanks, but I only found two on Amazon.ca (I'm Canadian) and they're really  expensive 

0 Kudos