Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdubbleyoo
Channel Surfer

Hey Roku, let us disable the branded shortcut buttons.

Yeah, this topic probably has come up before. This is how I choose to log a vote.

If you MUST have the branded buttons, make it so they can at least be deactivated.

How about a compromise - allow those companies to pay to be pre-installed with a little sticker over each, then allow the users to say yay/nay to each.

If nothing else, sell a non-branded version of each remote. I'd pay more to be left alone. I'd also pay for an updated gaming remote...or you could just let us use BT controllers.

Roku used to be cool. Now? Meh.

17 REPLIES 17
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Hey Roku, let us disable the branded shortcut buttons.

I agree!! They only clutter up the remote, and especially for those of us with large hands it makes touching it anywhere, far too easy to end up Muted, Powered Off, or connected to one of the premium channels sitting on the remote! Never had these kinds of issues with any other remote in my life!  Who thought of these things? It would make at least a little more sense if we could choose which channel, the branded shortcut buttons would go. As is I only ever use one of the four, & I can just as easily go the Home setting, and hit it from there....

traceytaylor
Channel Surfer

I absolutely never use mine, except by accident. Total waste.

DLinMA

It would be nice to be able to either disable or reprogram the buttons. This would help the aged and those with disabilities to easily select which channels they tend to watch.

Quantum_Cat
Reel Rookie

I completely agree. Those channel buttons, for me, ruin an otherwise decent remote. They should be, along with the gaming buttons, be reprogrammable. I would buy a better remote. 

That all being said, does Roku even pay attention to such user feedback?

StevenCee
Roku Guru

I agree, I can't count how many times I'm in the middle of watching a movie, or the news, and should I happen to accidentally touch any part of the remote, it either mutes the sound, changes the channel, goes to one of the branded channels, or turns off completely!
It's ridiculous, I've had remotes for decades, and never had one that was impossible to grip without triggering some unwanted change! I have large hands, so, especially in low light, it's not so easy to be able to ever so delicately & precisely, pick it up, so as not to interrupt what I'm watching.... never had this problem before.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We hear you about the Roku remotes having pre-installed shortcut buttons. Regarding the programmable buttons, this feature is available with the Roku Voice Remote Pro, with two personalized shortcut buttons set with your voice, so you can launch popular streaming channels, playlists, adjust settings, and more in a press. For more info, check out these links: Roku Voice Remote Pro and Getting to know your Roku® Voice Remote Pro

If you have further inquiries, please don't hesitate to let us know!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Quantum_Cat
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the info Kash. I may order this Voice Remote Pro (although it still comes with the unwanted pre-programmed buttons).

You mentioned, "We hear you about the Roku remotes having pre-installed shortcut buttons."

Still, it's very puzzling why Roku doesn't act on that feedback and do away with the pre-programmed unchangeable buttons in favor of something more user friendly. It's definitely not customer centric as is. It somewhat spoils the otherwise great remote design. It's like adding a horrible spice to an otherwise tasty dessert. It comes across as in-your-face blatant advertising. We're all bombarded with unwanted advertising day in and day out. I'm presuming Roku gets paid for this kind of promotion - is that correct?  Better would be to take the side of customers, make those buttons fully customizable, provide common stickers and do the right thing.

I'm considering painting over the pre-programmed shortcut buttons for channels I'll never subscribe to and maybe glue them in place with superglue so that when I accidentally hit them, nothing happens.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

If you get the voice pro I suggest getting these remote covers:

Amazon.com: [3Pcs] Case for Roku Voice Remote Pro 2021(Only for 2021 Released), Anti Slip|Shockproof...

The front keys the cover is even with top of the key, you can glide your hand across without activating a command. As for the volume and mute buttons, they're in crater, so to activate it you have too really purposely press to activate it. 

IMG_20220705_213555071.jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Quantum_Cat wrote:

You mentioned, "We hear you about the Roku remotes having pre-installed shortcut buttons."

Still, it's very puzzling why Roku doesn't act on that feedback and do away with the pre-programmed unchangeable buttons in favor of something more user friendly. 

Simple, it will never happen. Roku has charged companies for the permanent placement of those buttons, By contractual agreement, they cannot alter the functionality of the buttons. Yes, I agree it would be nice to either change their programming, or disable them completely. It will never happen. If you look at the remote for virtually any "smart" device, there's at minimum a Netflix button on the remote, and you can't do anything else with it. 

There's a few Android based players that you can install an app (not free) that allows reprogramming any remote button, including the Netflix button. But no company that sold that button real estate will ever provide a way to disable or reprogram it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.