Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelissaB
Reel Rookie

Re: Does Roku offer a remote or upgrade that allows me to adjust my Sonos Soundbar Volume?

Jump to solution

Steve B is absolutely correct. I've used my Sonos with three different types of Roku's now. His set up instructions should produce the results you're looking for. 

0 Kudos
sean56321
Reel Rookie

Re: Does Roku offer a remote or upgrade that allows me to adjust my Sonos Soundbar Volume?

Jump to solution

I'm not sure I understand why you can't use the SONOS app to make your Roku remote work. Most soundbars (including SONOS) allow you to use your TV remote in lieu of the soundbar remote. Set that up to work with your TV then set up your Roku remote to work with your TV and both should work.

0 Kudos
Steve_Br
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Drmeyer21 wrote:

Do you need the Roku ultra for this to work?  I just have a “standard” roku streaming stick.

You may need the Roku Ultra remote. I think I read somewhere that it has the infrared (IR) functionality that the Sonos recognizes. I'm not an expert in this so please do your own research. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Br
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@brucebowe22 wrote:

I've been busting my chops on this question off and on for a couple of days.   The only problem is when I go through the above procedure and press the volume up button, the Playbar doesn't seem to see it.  

Can anyone see something obvious I'm doing wrong?   Kinda driving me nuts.

Thanks, Bruce

Which Roku remote do you have? I know I had to make the Sonos recognize infrared and I have the Roku Ultra remote that sends IR. 

0 Kudos
Steve_Br
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@sean56321 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand why you can't use the SONOS app to make your Roku remote work. Most soundbars (including SONOS) allow you to use your TV remote in lieu of the soundbar remote. Set that up to work with your TV then set up your Roku remote to work with your TV and both should work.

It would seem that we don't want to do it the way you're describing. We want to use the Roku remote to control the volume on the Sonos. In my setup, I only use the Roku remote now to turn the TV on/off, change Sonos volume, and use the Roku for all my content selection (youtubeTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, etc). 

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Both roku ultra and roku stick remotes are wifi, they both control non-roku tv's by IR, and then the Tv controls the soundbar by hdmi-cec. Even if you had a roku connected to roku tv and it's remote is controlling the roku tv volume by wifi, the roku tv will still pass on hdmi-cec signal to whatever device is connected to it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sean56321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Many SONOS systems only connect via optical cable so ARC isn't an option. It needs to be infrared but I still don't see why that is a problem.

sean56321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You wrote you currently use the Roku remote to control your SONOS volume. So if you're already using your Roku remote to control your SONOS volume, what, exactly, is your issue?

I thought you wanted to use your Roku remote to control SONOS volume and couldn't get that to work. So that is what I was trying to help with.

0 Kudos
bocabart

Jump to solution

While the ROku remote can not control the SONOS soundbar, the Sonos soundbar will accept  the orders from the Roku remote. You must open the SONOS app, go to the  soundbar settings, go to the TV input, and choose remote. It will tell you that only one device can control the SONOS and then you can change that to the Roku remote. I later turned off the sound on my TV and everything is now controlled by one remote. One minor issue is that when I control the volume I get a message on TV saying volume is digital out, but that goes away quickly.

0 Kudos
kmp

Jump to solution

this not only was extremely helpful...works great...but actually improved my overall mood by 46.7 percent.

Wahoooooo, thanks!!

0 Kudos