Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

Customizable/Custom Remote

I would love if ROKU offered the ability to purchase a customized remote where we could order it with the shortcuts of our choosing in addition to having the two programmable shortcut buttons, and perhaps also offer a remote with just programmable buttons.

10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Customizable/Custom Remote

@Fred_McIntyre 

Just to get this out of the way, nobody asked why you don't want the buttons that are currently on your remote. If you just want to talk politics, this is not the place for that. There are plenty of places where that's appropriate. This isn't one of them.

If you want help with getting a remote that will do what you want, we'll see what we can do.

User @Tivoburkee found a remote that he says will allow not only standard Roku commands to be programmed, but also special codes for certain apps.

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

He may be able to offer guidance on how to find the particular codes that map to certain apps/channels. Keep in mind also that this is an IR remote, meaning that it won't work with sticks or Roku TV devices, but it should work with standard Roku set top boxes.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

Thank you for the Remote recommendations and links. 🙏🏻❤️👍🏻👊🏻

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Fred_McIntyre  The Voice Remote Pro has 2 programmable buttons. I own 3 of them. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote-pro

Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

I'm not a part of any group, I just want the freedom to choose, and I was hoping that the suggestions I made would possibly be considered as an additional product/service offering from ROKU, sold along side their current offerings.

Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022 wrote:

@Fred_McIntyre  The Voice Remote Pro has 2 programmable buttons. I own 3 of them. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote-pro

Thanks! 😃👍🏻👊🏻

0 Kudos
Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

Perhaps if the shortcut buttons were reassignable, ROKU could sell button packs, or individual service buttons, so that people could customize their remotes themselves? 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Fred_McIntyre  I know what you are getting at. You don’t want Disney as a shortcut button on your remote based on your personal beliefs. Well Disney owns Hulu and ESPN. Disney, HBO, Netflix, Apple and others pay to advertise on the Roku remote. Those buttons are hard coded into the remote and cannot just be reprogrammed. 

0 Kudos
Fred_McIntyre
Binge Watcher

I know that the buttons are hard coded, and I know that companies pay to have theirs on there, I know what the current offerings as far as remotes are capable of, I was merely dropping a suggestion for the possibility of a future customizable option, I never mentioned any service that I didn't want on the remote, I did however mention that I wished for a blank slate option that was customizable, for a more user centric experience. I'm aware that a remote that is not being subsidized would obviously cost more, and I'd be willing to pay for the flexibility of being able to change things up as I rotate between services.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Fred_McIntyre  And how would you change things up? Send your remote in and have it reprogrammed and have different buttons put in it? First you would have to ask Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Sling and others call Pay Roku’s to advertise their service on the remote if it’s OK if you removed those buttons. It’s easier just to get a universal remote that others have pointed out if it works for your device. They are cheap. But without getting into a huge back-and-forth discussion I know exactly what you’re looking for. You made it clear in your first post

0 Kudos